BMW Werkz banner

E36 exhaust

4K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
I have been looking around at exhaust. I see a bunch on ebay(Good shit, lol) anyways are all catback systems campatible between 323, 325 and 328?

#5 · (Edited)
Isn't the 323 different from the 325 and 328? Single pipe instead of dual pipes?

BTW, there are brand names on Ebay from time to time. Just be careful, some will give you a brand name. If you read the fine print, it will "brandname like" and its not really a known quantity. And, according to some other sites, the 323 IS different from the 325 and 328. Which auto do you have?

#8 ·
Bavauto, and I think Active Autowerks, has cat-backs for the 323. Maybe others. I wonder if you could take a 325 system, cut and weld a 2-into-1 back section to match the single mid-pipe? Would the other hanger points match up?

#10 ·
yes, single Y pipe to the cat.

You will gat a crapload of power from the increased flow. The 325's and 328's only gain around 5 hp with exhaust, but if you open up the intake and get a decent exhaust, expect very very noticeable gains. becuase of the ODBII specifications, they restricted the hell out of the 98+ motors, so they label the car as a 323 even though it does have 2.5L of displacement.

#12 ·
A good muffler shop could probably build you an exhaust W/ Flowmaster/ Magnaflow. I don't how much it would cost or how it would sound.

#19 ·
i went with the UUC DTM-Style exhaust. it sounds great! but whenever it starts going out (it'll be a while, but) i'll probably go with the m3 exhaust. they do look/sound great too!

would the hangers still fit right if he converted to dual? i would think they will work. if not then the muffler shop can easily split into two pipes right before the muffler to make it work with dual. they can do anything, lol. :D

good luck with your decision.

#20 ·
///M Power said:
No, no it doesnt. The M3 exhaust gives no gains on your car. It's purely for a SLIGHTLY louder and deeper tone. It really is more of a disadvantage because it weighs nearly 50 lbs.
:confused:

Yes, it does. The pipes from the exhaust manifold have a) a bigger diameter, causing more flow to pass, b) all the same length, causing a better flow passing.

If you put a complete M3 exhaust (exhaust manifold, cat and m3 tailpipe) on a 328i you will gain about 15-20PK ;)

And yes, I've seen the proof, and no, it's not bull :cool:

#21 ·
s52? how come ive never heard of this...meh..too tired to think, ill post on this comment tommorow....the only thing ive heard is that the s52 cats should have a better flow, gaining 15-20 hp is kind of impossible just from a stock exhaust manifold cats and exhaust...honestly...i know the flow isnt that restricted....

#22 ·
SpeedInfusion said:
s52? how come ive never heard of this...meh..too tired to think, ill post on this comment tommorow....the only thing ive heard is that the s52 cats should have a better flow, gaining 15-20 hp is kind of impossible just from a stock exhaust manifold cats and exhaust...honestly...i know the flow isnt that restricted....
It's eurospec, maybe that differs because US M3's are also restricted <_<

And impossible? The difference in the diameter of the exhaust pipes between eurospec 328i and eurospec M3 are quite large...

It's that a dyno costs around 50 dollars over here, otherwise I'd be glad to do one to prove it.. It's one of the most cheapest gains for that amount of PK... since I've paid only 450 euro (around 500 dollars) for a exhaust manifold and cat with the lambdasondes from a 3.0L M3 :lol:

#23 · (Edited)
Yah, but then you have to ship it from europe, It's long, heavy, and wil be crazy expensive to ship.

In essence, the 323 will benifit SIGNIFICANTLY from having more diamater, you WANT to remove the Y pipe, or have a Y pipe to a 2.5" diamater pipe (which is actually better since there will be less surface area resistance, and less piping material, and is actually slightly more volume than two 2" pipes, but you will need to go custom)

I would say doing a custom Y pipe to a 2.5" would easialy give you at least 5, maybe 10. It would rape the low end torque, but you'll notice a difference. It's actually quite laughable how small the 323's pipe is...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183353

#25 ·
vince318i said:
It's eurospec, maybe that differs because US M3's are also restricted <_<

And impossible? The difference in the diameter of the exhaust pipes between eurospec 328i and eurospec M3 are quite large...

It's that a dyno costs around 50 dollars over here, otherwise I'd be glad to do one to prove it.. It's one of the most cheapest gains for that amount of PK... since I've paid only 450 euro (around 500 dollars) for a exhaust manifold and cat with the lambdasondes from a 3.0L M3 :lol:
oh shit, ur in europe or usa?
yea shipping stuff from europe to usa becomes too much $$

#26 ·
No I live in The Netherlands so no need to ship ;)
Drove 350km's for it to pick it up... but is one of the best things you can buy for this money with this amount of gain.. 15pk is quite much to gain :)

But I believe you guys if you say it wouldn't fit properly.. and also that a US M3 pipe wouldn't help out, your M3 exhaust manifolds are the same as 328i (at least the european 328i's) so that wouldn't help one bit...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.