BMW Werkz banner

traction control at the track

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SpooldUp 
#1 ·
hey i just bought my bimmer, i have a 94 325is and i am taking it to the drag strip on saturday. im wondering if i should keep the traction control on or take it off when im racing it. I would imagine traction control will get me off the line better but im still not sure exactly what it does. im not sure if my car has a LSD or not, so when i go to heat up my tires should i leave it on or off? if someone could just explain exactly what it does that would help me out alot.

#2 ·
turn the traction control off. you do not have an LSD stock, as 1994 325is did not come with LSD and traction control stock.
you want to find the spot where the car doesn't bog down but you don't get wheelspin. you want to find the sweet spot. i would NOT heat up the tires.

#5 ·
well thanx for the welcome, (bmw ur sig is my best pickup line) anyway i live in oregon and i pay 20 bucks a night, that gets you as many runs as you can fit in the night, it starts at 6 and goes till 12 or 11 im not sure. You also have to buy a racing number for the season so thats another 10 your first time.

anyway on the traction control subject, since i dont have an lsd does that mean im guna b doing 1 wheel burnouts?

#6 · (Edited)
http://www.318ti.org/notebook/asc/index.html

There are differences in the two systems. The above has a lengthy explanation.

I don't think you'll be doing much of a burn out in this car. It doesn't have enough power for total loss of traction in dry conditions. In the above explanation it sounds like you might be better off launching with ASC+T on, as long as you can keep the light from coming on.

#7 ·
k i read through the manual on it, first off burnouts arent going to be that hard, car comes stock with around 180hp it will have enough power. As for drag racing if any of you are wondering, if you have ASC take it off, if you have asc+t, take it off. Do heat up your tires, just do a burnout in the pit, it will heat them up and make the rubber stick to the pavement better, and you will launch faster with less chance of a buncha wheel spin.

#10 ·
drz said:
Turn it off. BTW, how much do you pay to use the track? I started a thread about this, but nobody ever replied :cry

\QUOTE]

In columbus OH, it was $10 - race or watch. Pretty good fun for 10 bucks if you ask me. You get to see cool cars and learn a lot.

Apperantly I cannot comprehend the quoting system...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.