BMW Werkz banner

Sluggish Steering

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  ragtop guy 
#1 ·
:dunno

Guys,

Well, I went out this afternoon to pick up my kid from school and let the car run for 2 minutes due to it being cold outside. When she warmed up a little, I pulled out of my driveway and immediately noticed that my steering felt real tight or even a bit sluggish. I have driven this car on cold days before and it has never done this. As I went down the road it even felt as if a tire was going down. I got to my kids school which is about 1/2 miles away and got out and checked the tires and no flats or soft tires. I would have gotten out sooner but there was no place to pull over. So I crept at about 25mph and pulled it into the parking lot.
Then, on the way home it felt just fine. I was wondering if this was due to the car sitting for a while/overnight after a warm day and cold spell later that night or is something up with the steering? I have been in the snow with the car before but never had anything like this happen before. the roads where bare but going out of my driveway I went thru about 3 inchs of snow. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Mack

"Accelerate till you see GOD......Then brake"

See less See more
#3 ·
I think my power steering pump just went up I'm ten miles from home what should I do. There's been a drip drip leak, took it to mechanic, he said he tighted up hoses and put in stop leak and filled the res. That was two days ago. Getting in this afternoon and started whining and you know that out of fluid feeling. Didn't see a puddle underneath but a line of fluid that could have been mine when I parked. Sound like a pump gone up to you. I'm sorry but I see ATF everywhere in the owners manual. Is that Auto Tran Fluid or another type and where can I get it and is the best thing to do is just take it directly to the mechanic's or to the dealership? Thanks in advance, ERic.

#4 ·
Originally posted by ragtop guy@Apr 8 2005, 03:25 PM
I think my power steering pump just went up I'm ten miles from home what should I do. There's been a drip drip leak, took it to mechanic, he said he tighted up hoses and put in stop leak and filled the res. That was two days ago. Getting in this afternoon and started whining and you know that out of fluid feeling. Didn't see a puddle underneath but a line of fluid that could have been mine when I parked. Sound like a pump gone up to you. I'm sorry but I see ATF everywhere in the owners manual. Is that Auto Tran Fluid or another type and where can I get it and is the best thing to do is just take it directly to the mechanic's or to the dealership? Thanks in advance, ERic.
[snapback]328569[/snapback]​

ATF= automatic trans fluid. The pump may not be gone, but sounds like you do have a leak. who's closer, mechanic or dealer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.