330i or M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:02 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
(Thread Starter)
330i or M3

Just a question: do you guys think it would be more reasonable (considering all things equal. ie: mileage and year) to buy a 330i and mod it out to have the same HP as an M3, or just pay more for the performance of the M3 itself?
I mean if I got the 330 I would supercharge it, redo the fuel management system,, ignition system, lighten flywheel, exhaust, stage 2 suspension, plus a few more. what do you think? any feedback is appreciated.

BMW Crazy

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 08:50 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Are you saying e46 330i vs e36 m3, or vs e46 m3? I would suggest that you go with the m.

#3 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 11:29 PM
2nd Gear Member

SpooldUp will become famous soon enough SpooldUp will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to SpooldUp
If you would rather work on your car and/or have a unique car, go with modding a 330. If you just want to drive it, go with an m. If you have the means to work on a car while not driving it everyday, you are fortunate. And in this case, I, myself would choose the 330 project car route. It can be better than an m3, while being unique as well. Note* this may cost more than a comparable m3, but your insurance will not be m3 insurance... :-) Alternatively, if not done right your 330 car will not long under boost.

Tradeoffs...

'99 323i 5spd

<CENTER>

</CENTER>

where's my beer?
best website ever

"I'm not even supposed to be here today"

#4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 12:00 AM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^^ I read somewhere that a 328 may respond better to engine mods than would the 330. Ask about this in the e46 forum and do some more research.

#5 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:38 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
ok for the record no non-M E46 is faster than a E36 M3, so performance wise id go E36, the E36 M3 has a great platform to work with for speed. the E46 is newer and has a more updated look so with that said id go E3 M3

#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 03:59 AM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
ok for the record no non-M E46 is faster than a E36 M3, so performance wise id go E36, the E36 M3 has a great platform to work with for speed. the E46 is newer and has a more updated look so with that said id go E3 M3
+1 for the e36 m3

#7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:44 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I think he's talking e46 3 vs e46 M3

It sounds like you are pretty serious about mods. You WILL be disappointed by the lack of power in a 330i, BUT I would tell yo to go with a 330i SEDAN. 4 doors would be sick. Then supercharge it. No doubt in my mind that after you supercharge it that you wouldnt be able to walk on stock e46 M3's, mainly because of the lack of torque in e46 M3's.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:59 AM
4th Gear Member

93 325i is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to 93 325i
Through a financial perspective the E46 M3 would be about 10-15 grand more than the 330i. All that work you listed would go far beyond that difference (to supercharge alone would be 10K right there)..And since you said your goal was to get to the same HP as a M3 I think you know the answer then. Get the M- keep the reliability of a non heavily modded engine and search for a good deal. I have seen E46 M's in the low 30K range..

Complete mod list and pics:

My 1993 325i
#9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:09 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
I dont think a supercharger would run you 10K to get into an above M numbers. Like I said, M3 power in a sedan is a godsend. Then you can pop on CSL front bumpers and do what you want with the rest of the body. I believe renntech motorsport or somethign did a project 330ii. Supercharged. Molded on larger fenders, creatd a pwer bulge in the hood, and did CSL body work around. It looked rather sick.

#10 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
I am going to treat the question as though he is asking about an E46 330i and a E36 M3 (which is the only reason I can see for him putting it in the E36 forum).

In my opinion it really does depend on what performance you want out of the vehicle. You can get the E36 M3 in a four door variety, which gives you the M performance but with the 4 doors. If you are not really about performance as much then go with the 330i. If you are into performance that you made as opposed to what it does stock, then you may get more of a feeling of accomplishment with going with the 330i and building up to and beyond stock M performance. I do kinda like this way because it does give you a great feeling of accomplishment. However, there is definite magic about any M car and there is nothing I would rather have (except an E46 CSL) than an E36 M3 4dr.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 01:40 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Im pretty sure he just posted in the wrong forum. A mdo shud move it to e46 or M3. He said he was goign to mod the 330 to get the same horsepower as the M3, thus we may assume he means e46 M3. He also stated about paying mroe for an M3, and as far as I know a e46 3.0 costs more than a e36 m3.

#12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:04 AM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
(Thread Starter)
330 or M3? (wrong forum)

Hey guys, sorry I posted my question in this forum. I am so used to posting in the e36 forum I forgot i was talking about the E 46 cars. anyways thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
#13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2005, 09:51 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
e46 or e36, why the hell hasn't anyone mentioned the suspension differences between the two? Sure, an engine modded e46 can be as fast as an e46 m3, but you got to start putting in the suspension and the rubber. IMO, you might as well start out with the m3, and use that as a higher baseline. You can always earn more money in the future to mod the ///m and make it unique.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)