BMW Werkz banner

328i vs 328is

16K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  frank de jonge 
#1 ·
thanks for answering my previous post about 325i vs 325is. I have now shifted my focus on the 328. I have been looking at 328is from 96 to 98 with 5 speed but I was wondering if a 328i has pretty much the same performance and handling?
thanks.

#4 ·
Taken from the BMW E36 Bentley Manual....
"The 2-door variant differs from the 4-door sedan by a 3.12 inch (8cm) longer front end, a flatter hod line and air slits, and a roof almost 1.2 inches (3cm) shorter. Additional differences include wider doors with frameless windows, glass-covered door-posts (B-pillars) and a shorter and lower luggage compartment lid."

Also, the 328's have more torque so they can get off the line easier, which is the best improvement to the car from the 325 (2.5L engine). Maybe the 328is will handle slightly better than the 328i, but probably nothing that's noticable in my opinion. I owned a '96 328i 5 spd and it could get off the line as much as many people would hope a BMW could.

#8 ·
the 4 door is actually heavier as well isn't it (being that it is bigger)...

#9 ·
Damn that is a sweet ride...those are the same rims I am looking to get...M3 Contours...already has the Red/white tails...Very Impressive and congrats on your purchase! :bravo

#13 ·
Actually, the 4 door is stiffer and lighter (when gutted) somehow, but the 2 door looks nicer IMO (sleeker).

Most racing teams race the sedans for the above reason.

#15 ·
4 door is slightly lighter because the frame isn't as heavy. In the 2 door the frame weighs a lot more because there isn't a true b pillar to support the weight of the roof so the frame is reinforced to support it.

Kevin

#16 ·
Damn Kev, good knowledge, congrats on reaching 800 posts :clap2 :bravo :cheers

#20 ·
Originally posted by bitcore@Jun 24 2004, 12:45 PM
$12,500? US? That's a steal! I picked up my 32is 2door for 15,000 at about the same milage.
$15,000 for a 323?! Ouch, that's why I limited my search to '95-97. I could find an older M3 for that price! I'm just not working with that kind of budget :[

#21 ·
BTW, welcome, French & Collin :]

Collin, what miles did it have on it when you got it? How well have you been taking care of her (and how much is that costing you)?

#22 ·
whats up fellas, my baby had about 65,000mi on her when i got it, and just the other day i rolled it over to 80,000. Umm.... that car is my baby and i take really good care of it. the biggest thing i've had to do is i had to get a new A/C head unit, which hurt, but other than that i change the oil probably more than i should, which isnt all that expensive(since my pops and i do it ourselves) and then i just wash it regularly...its very dependable and if you take care of it , it will take care of you.

Collin

#23 ·
Originally posted by clubin+Jun 25 2004, 12:36 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clubin @ Jun 25 2004, 12:36 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bitcore@Jun 24 2004, 12:45 PM
$12,500? US? That's a steal! I picked up my 32is 2door for 15,000 at about the same milage.
$15,000 for a 323?! Ouch, that's why I limited my search to '95-97. I could find an older M3 for that price! I'm just not working with that kind of budget :[ [/b][/quote]
1998 2 door w/ sport package (2.5L engine) and my favorite BMW rims.

I think the 2 door and sport package aspects jumped the price up...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.