BMW Werkz banner

328i Vs 328i W/ Sport Package

13K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  r4ndi22Le36 
#1 ·
I just have a few questions
(These are all relating to the 96' 328i)
1. Are there 4 door 328i with the sport package?
2. Are all 2 door 328i equipped with the sport package?
3. Does 328is mean its 2 door, has sport package, or both
4. Is there any difference in acceleration between the two?

Ive been getting confused because some places say that a 96 328 can do 0-60 in around 7sec. and on autos.msn.com and a few other places state that it does it in around 6.4 sec.

Just trying to get things straight.

Thanks in advance :)

#3 ·
I have a 328i (4 door) with the sport package. As already answered the 328is is a 2 door, not necessarily w/sport. I got the 4 door becuase I have kids, car seats, etc.
My guess is that the 4 door is heavier, and therefore perhaps a tad slower in 0-60 times. The 2 door does not have door frames around the window glass, the 4 door does.
Enjoy looking or whatever you're doing :p

#4 ·
Originally posted by Darkmage@Oct 8 2004, 07:49 AM
I just have a few questions
(These are all relating to the 96' 328i)
1. Are there 4 door 328i with the sport package?
2. Are all 2 door 328i equipped with the sport package?
3. Does 328is mean its 2 door, has sport package, or both
4. Is there any difference in acceleration between the two?

Ive been getting confused because some places say that a 96 328 can do 0-60 in around 7sec. and on autos.msn.com and a few other places state that it does it in around 6.4 sec.
[snapback]207470[/snapback]​
1. No
2. No
3. 2 door
4. Stock vs. stock, no.

The weight difference between the 328i and 328is is actually really close believe it or not. And there are a lot of different 0-60 times out there on the internet and in magazines. It all depends on who is driving I guess. Neither car is faster then the other though.

#7 ·
Originally posted by theogill@Oct 8 2004, 07:26 PM
I have a 328i (4 door) with the sport package. As already answered the 328is is a 2 door, not necessarily w/sport. I got the 4 door becuase I have kids, car seats, etc.
My guess is that the 4 door is heavier, and therefore perhaps a tad slower in 0-60 times. The 2 door does not have door frames around the window glass, the 4 door does.
Enjoy looking or whatever you're doing :p
[snapback]208012[/snapback]​

Actually the 4 door sedan(325i) is quoted as being slightly lighter than the 2 door coupe(325iS) and the convertible version(325iC) is quoted as being heavier than both the sedan and coupe. This is according to consumer auto reports.

But back to the original question....what are all the components of the sports package?

I usually see or hear about cosmetic deviations (rims/tires, spoiler, between sports and non-sports. But any 'real' differences under the hood ?

#8 ·
Originally posted by Delmarco@Oct 10 2004, 12:34 PM
But back to the original question....what are all the components of the sports package?

I usually see or hear about cosmetic deviations (rims/tires, spoiler, between sports and non-sports. But any 'real' differences under the hood ?
[snapback]208718[/snapback]​
Ok, differences:

-0.59" lower suspension, slightly stiffer springs and dampers
-16" sport wheels with 225/50/16 tires
-sport seats, with adjustable seat tilt, and thigh bolster
-three spoke M3 steering wheel (97 and on, I don't know if the US got that option)
-some of the earlier years, LSD was included with the sport package.

in europe some 328's with sport package also got 17" basketweave BBS rims

Under the hood, nothing at all.

#9 ·
Originally posted by thinair+Oct 10 2004, 07:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(thinair @ Oct 10 2004, 07:00 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Delmarco@Oct 10 2004, 12:34 PM

I usually see or hear about cosmetic deviations (rims/tires, spoiler,  between sports and non-sports. But any 'real' differences under the hood ?
[snapback]208718[/snapback]​
Ok, differences:

-0.59" lower suspension, slightly stiffer springs and dampers
-16" sport wheels with 225/50/16 tires
-sport seats, with adjustable seat tilt, and thigh bolster
-three spoke M3 steering wheel (97 and on, I don't know if the US got that option)
-some of the earlier years, LSD was included with the sport package.

in europe some 328's with sport package also got 17" basketweave BBS rims

Under the hood, nothing at all.
[snapback]208881[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

So basically my 318i snce I bought it I got 16 inch OEM BMW mesh (BBS like) rims w/ top performance Michelins Pilot MXM tires, and my springs seem stiff already, I plan on getting an interior upgrade to sport leather seats (www.leatherseats.com) and after I do this it seems all I got to do is lower my car and change my steering wheel to be able to say I got a sport package deal!?

If so....then...cool I'm on my way!!! :rock !

#11 ·
Best way to see if you have the sport package is to look under the rear seat and pull off the piece of paper that is stapled to the seat. There should be 10-20 four-digit codes at the bottom of the paper. Those would be all of your options. The codes usually start with a 0. Example 0101.

If for some reason you can't find the option code paper then you can obviously go to a dealer and they can run your VIN.

By looking at the exterior of the car there are ways to tell if it's a sport package. The car sits 1" lower then standard. The lower parts of the front and rear bumpers are also painted the same color as the car and you'll have painted M3 side skirts(may only be for 96-99). And those are a one piece. Their are no sport stickers( ///M) on the sport wheels like you would see on newer models. You'll have 4+1 spare 5 spoke 16" wheels. One other obvious way to see is if you have the front bucket seats with the extend thigh supports. Well I hope this helps anyone out. Keep on beemin it up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.