| Originally posted by wysockib@Jun 10 2005, 01:03 AM |
My 97 328i, 4 door,* runs like shit during the day when is hot out.* At nights when it is cool is runs great.* The check engine light come is on, but if I drive at night for a hour or so it goes off.* The idol is unstable and between 1-3rmp the power is lacking.
Okay....it sound like you have a few problems here
before I start is it safe for me to say that you drive during the daytime with your AC on full blast?
This pulls power from your engine and (although I don't know how or why the E36 are engineered this way) because the AC and other electrical components in your car uses fuel/gas the AC somehow indirectly affects the way your car idles and seems to make the E36 engines (rpms) idle wildly if the AC is on full blast on a hot day.
That is more than likely your problem and that means your Air Flow Meter needs replacing and/or your car's fuel system needs cleaning or servicing or replacing of one or some component.
If I'm wrong about your AC habits then read on.....
1. Check and service your coolant if needed (use ONLY BMW brand coolant or the blue-green watery stuff and NOT the slime-green-toxic glow-in-the-dark-goeeey stuff that you see running out of cheap broken down buicks!
2. Check your auxilary fans and belts to see if they are working. Also service your car for oil and other important engine fluids if needed. Most people forget this.
3. Check all your fuel/air components and replace and/or service any parts of that very very very important system that is DIRECTLY related to how your E36 idles.
4. Also make sure you are putting in 90 or higher grade fuel octane and NOT 87 or 89 grade octane in your tank.
5. Check your AC compressor or freon or the entire AC system to see that all components are fine. Check Alternator as well for wear and tear (i highly doubt it's the alternator though but you never know)
That should be all....unless I missed something....
IMO I highly suspect its your fuel system or Air Mass Meter because these are major causes of idling problems for E36 cars.
BTW...until you fix it I highly recommend winding the windows down and turning off the AC or your engine may die in the middle of traffic whiles idling.