328i heat and steering problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-18-2013, 08:55 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
fatcatsailor is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
328i heat and steering problem

My son has a 1997 328i that we just got out of storage. We stored it because the heat would not blow hot air. All fluids were full.

This spring we put in a new thermostat and housing, a new water pump and fan clutch. During this process we noticed the expansion chamber had pieces busted on the inside. We cleaned them out hoping no big deal for now but do need to order a new one. I noticed the car does NOT have pressure in the radiator when the car was warm and it still blows cold air. Rev the engine and it gets only warm air. I was thinking airlock but it did this last fall to. Could the expansion chamber be the problem? I loosen the bleeder screw and can't get any fluid to come out and no pressure. Any ideas where to start looking for the problem?

Also, the steering now has a jerky feeling and hard to steer. Steering fluid is full and it worked fine before storage. Its a bad feeling and cannot be driven this way. No leaks anywhere to be seen. Any thoughts on what to do?

I always turn to this forum for problem solving and read all up on maintenance for my bmw,s. Being a semi new bmw owner I have learned a lot from this forum but this time I am stumped. Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 01:49 PM
4DoorWhore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The lack of heat may be an issue with the heater core, including a blockage in one of the lines. Its possible a small piece made its way into the tubing and blocked it off.

Does it feel like the power steering IS working? Or does it feel like you have no power assist? Air in the system will cause some issues. Remove the cap, and then without starting the car turn the wheel 10 times lock to lock while looking for air bubbles coming out. If after 10 turns you still see air bubbles, go to 15. Then start the car and repeat. This will force any air out of the system. If the issue persists you may have an issue with your steering rack or pump.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)