325is Engine Question. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:03 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
n30g3n3s1s is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Sorry to make this my first post... you seem like a friendly enough community though and i'm sure someone will be able to help me.

Here's the story... I bought my '94 325IS about 10 months ago because my mechanic suggested it to be a great dependable/fun car. Well... not this car. Its been nothing but trouble and after quite a few problems a leak-down test was done. The test came up to be 20%. He was stunned. The only explination he had was the previous owner was using really low grade gas and it screwed up the fuel injectors which in turn flooded the engine, ignoring the problem allowed the cylinders to be continualy washed and in turn be scored.

So thats my problem, anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about using a 2.8L but using the head from my engine but I can't find the bore/stroke of my engine or the 94 2.8L does anyone know what it is?

Also, another problem that i've not been able to fix is the car leaks like CRAZY! I've gotten a new windshield because the car just needed one (the old one was a replacement and it was really low quality). The sunroof seal has been changed and the drain tubes have been checked. yet the car still leaks. At first after a thunderstorm i would have about 1 to 2 inches of water standing on my driver side floorboard but now its just damp. Any ideas?

I think thats it... Any help would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:06 AM
5th Gear Member

Speedy-325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Speedy-325is Send a message via MSN to Speedy-325is Send a message via Yahoo to Speedy-325is
you NEED to get a new engine.
WHERE do you live?

theres alot of details that will make it EXPEN$IVE if ur not careful, lemme know, and ill help you keep costs LOW, i just went through an engine swap, so im familiar with it all.

Mark
#3 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 03:10 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the quick reply!

I live in huntsville, alabama. My uncle owns a BMW car shop here so he's helping me out so much I dont think I could ever repay him. When I was younger I helped my dad rebuild an old challenger so I do have SOME experiance under the hood... me and my dad were hoping we could do alot of the work while using my uncles shop. Mainly parts is what its going to cost me. and personal time.

What was wrong with your 94 325is? how are you liking your 1.8L?
#4 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:31 AM
1st Gear Member

victorgallas is an unknown quantity at this point
You definetly will need an engine swap. I would go for the same engine swap. the reason for that is that by replacing the whole engine is better than sawping the block an using different head, and you will still keep the same computer.. dont do that....also working with BMW timing components without the propers tools is a nightmare..

the best thing you can do for the car and your money, is to get an engine from a junkyard, the same engine, wich in your case is an M50 engine. they go for around 1000. Then is amatter of taking the old one put and putting the new one in.

then plug the engine coil with the cars coil and it should all match since it is an m50 engine.

Just one note on this, some early 92 E36 had a non-vanos engine, since your car is older, you have vanos, so make sure the new engine also has it. otherwise the computer will not function properly.

I would grealty reccomend you that after doing the swap you do a full engine tune up, change all fluids and filters with high quality ones.

Your idea of using the M50 head onto a 328 engine is not good, not only CC's are different, but also the head on those engine have smal differences.
youre getting two similar, but different engines, and trying to make one out of it, not worth the money and agravation..

just do a full swap and save money, time and stress.

let us know

o one more note here, since youll pretty much will be taking everything apart, it is a good time to replace clucth, in case its manual., and other of those hard to get to components that wear after some 100k
but once youll get it fix, youll see how much fun it is.

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the "Ultimate Driving Machine"

Fraude an Fahren
BMW > Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#5 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:16 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas+Jan 20 2005, 11:31 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(victorgallas @ Jan 20 2005, 11:31 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>You definetly will need an engine swap. I would go for the same engine swap. the reason for that is that by replacing the whole engine is better than sawping the block an using different head, and you will still keep the same computer.. dont do that....also working with BMW timing components without the propers tools is a nightmare.. [/b]

Fortunately this is a specialty shop i was talking about so he has all the tools that i'll be needing to do anything i want. The new block i want to use is a 2.8L out of a 328 96. My uncle checked out the bore/stroke and its the same bore with a longer stroke, like he suspected. The reason i want to use this engine is its been rebuilt already and he's always given me amazing deals on anything ive done there. I should have an emblem vinyl onto my hood for how much he's given me . I trust his work very much.

Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas@Jan 20 2005, 11:31 AM
Just one note on this, some early 92 E36 had a non-vanos engine, since your car is older, you have vanos, so make sure the new engine also has it. otherwise the computer will not function properly.
Yeah, i knew about the vanos and how it started in 92. Thats for reminding me thoguh.

Quote:
Originally posted by victorgallas@Jan 20 2005, 11:31 AM
I would grealty reccomend you that after doing the swap you do a full engine tune up, change all fluids and filters with high quality ones.
Definantly, i had planned on getting some k&n filters which he recomended. What do you guys think?

<!--QuoteBegin-victorgallas
@Jan 20 2005, 11:31 AM
Your idea of using the M50 head onto a 328 engine is not good, not only CC's are different, but also the head on those engine have smal differences.
youre getting two similar, but different engines, and trying to make one out of it, not worth the money and agravation..
[/quote]

I'm sure your right about the time/money/agrivation thing . I would like to use this engine since its in top shape right now. The 2.8L wasnt a DOHC was it?

The clutch has been changed at 100k miles... i think thats the only thing the former owner did right =p.

At any rate, my uncle seems to think it will work, he'll be checking the heads and comparing them. Hopefully all the ports and everything line up correctly... we'll see, but since this seems to be quite an adventure no matter what I do I'll keep this thread updated with the progress.
#6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 05:45 PM
1st Gear Member

just dont forget one little detail here man.. you still have the M50 computer on the car.. so how can the conputer know the engine got bigger, how will you make the cumputer understand that it needs to put compensate for the bigger block. i mean compensate on the gas for the bigger block, sinc eit will suck more air in too, so the fuel ration will be modified.

if you plan on simply putting the 328 computer on a 325i, it wont work, 325i have OBD 1, i more primitive computer system, less inputs, etc..

the 328i requires more sensors to work correctly, and also it needs to be coded with your dashboard, and only a modic man can do this.

the only way you can conpensate the air fuel mixture is by programming the cars DME. BMW wont do that, only independent tuners that have the appropriate computer to get into the DME programming and redo it.

I understant that the mechanics of it might seem to work well, but if you dont get the electronics strait too, it wont be pretty.

keep us posted..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 06:33 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
you can get someone to custom chip your car to work a obdII engine in a OBDI car. i know lots of people who swap obdII m3 engines into early model e36s and get them to work.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 10:59 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Furious@Jan 20 2005, 07:33 PM
you can get someone to custom chip your car to work a obdII engine in a OBDI car. i know lots of people who swap obdII m3 engines into early model e36s and get them to work.
[snapback]275780[/snapback]
He did mention that i would need to get a new chip. I know this is going to be pricey. I do want to get this resolved though, i couldn't imagine walking outside and seeing a civic sitting in my drive way.

As i said before my uncle (Britt McBride) is the owner and master mechanic of a specialty BMW car shop here in huntsville called Eurotech. He dosn't work on much besides BMWs, like the occasional ferrari i saw sitting in his shop the other day. I'll have just about anything you'll ever need to do anything to a bimmer. No worries there, he's got all the tools.

Anyone got any ideas on this water leak i mentioned above? Its really annoying havn't to try to keep it out of the rain. I searched the forums and pulled up a thread that had a the seal for the window as a possability. I've never seen any water comming from anywhere but around the gas pedal. Dosn't exactly look or sound good to me.

Thanks for all the help guys, its very very much appreciated.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 12:41 AM
1st Gear Member

well get the electronics straigh out first..

and about the water comin from the accelerator pedal.. there some possibilities here.

the most obvious is that the fornt windshield was replaced at some point and the perosn that installed the new window messed up on the sealing.. so for that you woul dneed a new seal.. the problem is to identify that it is the seal, since on the bottom part of it you wont be able to much unless you do the following..
remove the bottom plastic covers for the pedals and the passenger side, just to help seeing. then ask some one to get a hose and shoot the water very hard around the window seal..

while he does that, you and a good flishlight will be under the dash waiting for the drops to come.. im very sure that is will be very visible where the drip is comming from..

this also includes the possiblity of not being the seal, but also a broken wire connector for the wiper motor, the conector goes form under the windshiled where the wiper motor is to behing the dasbhboard right behind the speedometer panel.
also, the ac and heater box has its air blower on the outside, underneth the windshiled. there is a foam seal that ensures seal between the heater box and the cars body, but after some time the seal might ass well fail,

also, open the hood, and look on the bottom of the windshiled, there is a little plactic grill there, under that grill there is the ac blower motor, and it where the air goes in to the cabin, and also the wiper motor.
is the previous owner did not clean the leaves out of there periodically, then it will most likely be clogged with leaves and all that stuff, cloggin the drain on the bottom part of it..

and is nottthing helps, then check the rubber gromments that seal the accelerator cable when it goes trought the firewall and the clucht hydraulic supply hose, in case is a manual. o yes do check around the fuse box, because on the bottom part of it, there is a big wire passagfe and if the seals around it fail, then water enters there.

just look carefully under there..

You are a BMW driver when you become part of the &quot;Ultimate Driving Machine&quot;

Fraude an Fahren
BMW &gt; Bayerische Motorenwerke

Auf Viedersehen der herr

www.clemsonfsae.com
#10 (permalink) Old 01-21-2005, 05:21 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
wow, thanks for such a detailed rundown of all the different possablities. I'll print this out and go check all this stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)