325i Oil WEIRDNESS!!! - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1993 325is
Photos:
hunter325i is on a distinguished road
325i Oil WEIRDNESS!!!

ok, yesterday i changed my oil like every other time before, BUT today when coming to school i noticed that when i stopped that i was smoking a little. it smelt like oil so i poped the hood. around the oil filter canister i noticed that it was wet around that area. i turned on my car again and rev'd it, i noticed that there was oil coming out of the top where the screw holds the top in place. would ther be anyother reason for that to happen rather then it being loose?? because before i put oil into it, i checked the bolts to make sure that they were all tight.....help me out...

Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
I am not sure where the oils is coming out. Is it at the junction of the cap and the filter housing? Or is it from the very top of the cap (as in, may the cap be broke?) Did you remember to put in the O-ring when you installed the filter?

Hopefully it is simple: a simple o-ring insertion, or getting a new filter housing cap (if the current one is cracked or broken).

Keep us posted. If you have more details (or pictures), please do share them with us, as that may help us diagnose the situation better.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: '89 E30 w/M50
Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Did you put a new rubber seal on the lid, and if you have the older oil filter housing with the metal top did you put a new crush ring and o-ring on the bolt?

BMWJNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
its coming from the actually bolt head. the first thing i checked was the cap and there were no cracks or what not. the o-ring's and all are there and the rubber seal is there as well.when i get home im going to take it off and check it once again hopefully ill fix the problem. also the oil only leaks when the gas is pressed. ill take some pics today if i cannot figure out what is the problem. again thank you guys.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond reputeBMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter325i
its coming from the actually bolt head. the first thing i checked was the cap and there were no cracks or what not. the o-ring's and all are there and the rubber seal is there as well.when i get home im going to take it off and check it once again hopefully ill fix the problem. also the oil only leaks when the gas is pressed. ill take some pics today if i cannot figure out what is the problem. again thank you guys.
I didn't ask if they were there, I asked if they were replaced. Everytime you do an oil change and take that oil filter lid off you need to replace all the seals or you will get leaks. The almn washer on the end of the bolt is a seal between the metal filter canister lid and the bolt head. This seal can be reused maybe one time. Its designed to crush and fill in the small gaps between the bolt head and lid. Same with the rubber o-rings for the end of the bolt and the filter lid. These will deform and flatten with heat and oil exposure and are not designed to be reused at all.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
^+1. Your filter package should contain both the lid rubber seal and the o-ring for the bolt.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
of course i changed the gaskets...im not stupid...
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
Millions of them.

Car: e36 w/ a m42
Photos:
Torque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond reputeTorque has a reputation beyond repute
No need to get an attitude. We're just suggesting the most probable thing ...

By the way, I'm removing your sig since it violates the rules.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
of course i changed the gaskets...im not stupid...
I just wanted to make sure, you would be surprised at how many people don't realize that those have to be changed. Also in your reply you just said that they were there when you checked when I asked in my first reply if they had been replaced so I wasn't clear if they were changed or not.

Old 08-04-2007, 12:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
i wasnt getting an attitude, isnt that common sense to use what is given to you??? well anyways, when i got home took the bolt out and noticed that the two washers where shifted weird so oil was escaping from a small crack left by the two washers....it is fixed and all is well....i suppose the next question is whats a good removing oil from engine bay????
Old 08-06-2007, 11:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
i wasnt getting an attitude, isnt that common sense to use what is given to you??? well anyways, when i got home took the bolt out and noticed that the two washers where shifted weird so oil was escaping from a small crack left by the two washers....it is fixed and all is well....i suppose the next question is whats a good removing oil from engine bay????
Two washers? There should only be one washer on the bolt that holds down the oil filter housing lid and one o-ring on the end of the bolt that goes down inside the housing.

As far as getting the oil out of the engine bay the GUNK brand foaming engine cleaner works well, I sugest getting two cans just to be safe.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)