BMW Werkz banner

Gearbox Strength

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Silencer 
#1 ·
hey guys,
I just wanted to find out a bit more about the 92 318i's and how their gearboxes are? as a p plate driver burnouts are gonna "accidently" happen and i just wanted to make sure that the gearbox isn't gonna pack in after doing 1 or 2? also are there any known problems associated with the engine? like known issues that seem to pop up...greatly appreciated. :cheers

#2 ·
Don't do this. your car is not designed to have instentanious ammounts of torque applied to it and this is consiereded SEVERE ABUSE.

You will destroy everything. Lets start from the back:
Bolts can shere form the driveshaft flanges, differential gears will be stripped bald until they are just doughnuts, driveshaft U joints will sheer, Guibo flex disc will be torn to hell, transmission gears and innards will be destroyed, clutch components will get raped, and even your crankshaft can suffer severe damage (slight warping, snapping [these things are HARD so if they are gonna bend, they are going to SHATTER])

From a fully engaged roll, getting the wheels to start spinning (IE: on water or going around a corner hard to start doing doughnuts) is INFINATELY BETTER for your car than dropping the clutch.

I'm all about getting sideways, I love it. Shit, I did it today with this girl who wanted a ride today [I'm infamous for scaring the shit out of my passengers] and drifted around a corner. (I have an open diff, but one tire in the back is much crappier than the other 3 and it breaks loose like nothing else) Dosn't hurt my car too much except for when it regains traction and my sways and control arms feel the pressure.

#3 ·
^^ What he said..

Mainly it will destroy your rear sub-frame and differential. I'd like to smack the guy who said an E36 chassis can take more than the M3 motor can throw at it. That's pure BS. The E36 chassis is a bit "whimpy" for a BMW. I've destroyed the hell out of my diffs and sub-frames and I don't drive like a moron, I track the car properly, they just don't last. American muscle car's with a super stiff chassis and sub-frame are more suited for doing burnouts. BTW in my opinion burnouts and donuts are a waste of time/money and look stupid anyways. The only newer BMW I've seen that can eat up the abuse is the MCoupe. The only reason my car lasts through the abuse I put it through is because I have about 100lbs of reinforcements welded in.

Also, the stock BMW clutch sucks so bad it's laughable. Try to do a burnout in a 318 and the clutch will just fall to peices. It's not that the engine can't produce the power, it's just that stock BMW clutches are made for comfort (slippage) and not for performance, it's pathedic.

Bry

#4 ·
Originally posted by Autotechnica@Mar 8 2005, 09:14 AM
^^ What he said..

Mainly it will destroy your rear sub-frame and differential. I'd like to smack the guy who said an E36 chassis can take more than the M3 motor can throw at it. That's pure BS. The E36 chassis is a bit "whimpy" for a BMW. I've destroyed the hell out of my diffs and sub-frames and I don't drive like a moron, I track the car properly, they just don't last. American muscle car's with a super stiff chassis and sub-frame are more suited for doing burnouts. BTW in my opinion burnouts and donuts are a waste of time/money and look stupid anyways. The only newer BMW I've seen that can eat up the abuse is the MCoupe. The only reason my car lasts through the abuse I put it through is because I have about 100lbs of reinforcements welded in.

Also, the stock BMW clutch sucks so bad it's laughable. Try to do a burnout in a 318 and the clutch will just fall to peices. It's not that the engine can't produce the power, it's just that stock BMW clutches are made for comfort (slippage) and not for performance, it's pathedic.

Bry
[snapback]305919[/snapback]​

wow thats scary...i've always thought of bmw's to be a hardcore car with stronger than what you've just stated..its my first car and i dont have that much money to spend if things blow especially thegearbox and drivetrain these things cost big $$$ here in australia and since im only 17 my income isnt all that great to support major damage..are they really as fragile as that..for eg..coudl you take a stock 318i to the track say once a month and not have any major damage? thanks

#5 ·
Your gearbox should be fine, slamming it into each gear could wear it out prematurely.

You'll need to be concerned with your clutch, pressure plate, and seals if you plan on being abusive to your ride.

#6 ·
well, id say gearbox wise its pretty strong. I guy i met with a 316 turbo is pushing quite abit of power onto the wheels, the standard gearbox is coping well. The diff on the other hand definately isnt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.