320d Almost Killed Parents - Help Appreciated - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:11 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SteveJakab is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi Everyone,
This is my first post. I'm writing this on behalf of my parents who both almost died last year as a result of the 320d accelerating out of control while the brakes had no effect.

My parents bought the car in early May 2003. The accident occurred in Hungary on 25 June 2004.

My Dad was driving along the road at 50MPH, with a good distance between him and the lorry infront. He wasn't using cruise control. The car suddenly surged and started accelerating very quickly. My Dad pressed the brakes. Nothing. He slammed on the brakes. Nothing again. There was resistance, but no braking effect. He swerved to avoid going under the lorry, and they went into a ditch, unfortunately hitting a tree after a while at over 50MPH. They both had broken backs/ribs etc. but survived.

Since talking to many people, many people with BMWs, Freelanders and other cars that use BMW engines etc. have had similar problems with their cars accelerating out of control. According to some mechanics, if there's a computer fault the anti-lock break pistons move into place to stop the braking fluid reaching the brakes.

A rover person I spoke to said there was a service fix for the problem, but the car never made it to it's first service. My email address is steve@holisticplanet.net. If any of you kind souls have any information, or have experienced a similar problem, please get in touch. My Dad is a very safe driver and this shouldn't have happened to them.

Please help and get in touch.
Many thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 07:39 AM
1st Gear Member

tyro2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
wow thats kinda scary..sorry i cant help you. good luck
#3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
i think ive heard a few stories of this happening, (for other companies as well) however have you contacted BMW to review their recall list on that model? if its on there id look further into some sort of litigation etc. those types of things are something BMW might have to swallow (that is providing your car was bought brand new , or is relitively new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)