BMW Werkz banner

318ti air intake problem

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  darkhorse737 
#1 ·
i recently installed air intake into my 97 318ti and one of the service lights went on. also when i am driving the car it seems like it jerks out of gear or something and my car is an automatic. i dont know what to do. if anyone can help i would greatly appreciate it.

#4 ·
AFM is your Air Flow Meter(a.k.a. MAF-Mass Airflow Meter).

That is that silver box with an electronic plug where you CAI(Cold Air Intake) connects to.

In many cases, a CAI filter is much less dense in filter material, and allows not only air but also minute dirt particles as well. And if yours is the kind that uses an oil recharge every so often, the chances of contaminating your AFM/MAF is even greater.

For starters, you can take of the air filter, get some airflow sensor cleaner(regular brake cleaner will do), and clean it as best u can. and then reinstall.

Pay close attention also to the electric connector to the AFM, many times, the connector pops loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.