318ise Jerking/Kangarooing 1st gear - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 04:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
MrMasterD is on a distinguished road
318ise Jerking/Kangarooing 1st gear

First of all i just like to say hello to you all!

Second a small problem (feel guilty making my first post a cry for help hehe!)

My car has a case of kangaroo juice it all started a few days ago, i was driving for almost 11hrs in the day and the light on the dash (!) << like that sorry dont know what its called lol, i checked the handbook it says its for brake hydrolics or brake fluid so i topped up the fluid but it still comes on, now when i set off in first if i put my foot down it jerks back and forward really badly almost putting me through the windscreen. as soon as i put it in 2nd gear it runs smooth.

If i set off really slow and drag the clutch out it runs smooth but if i put my foot down after it will still jerk like mad then bang into 2nd and its fine?

im at the end of my tether ive searched on search engines ive seen similar problems on different websites but theres never any answers! has anyone had a same sort of problem?

Cheers - Dan
MrMasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Hello, welcome to the boards!

I am assuming you put the correct fluid where it is supposed to go. It is odd that it started after you added fluid to the car. Is this the case? And are you sure you added the proper fluid into the proper place?

Is this jerking kind of like when some one is learning to drive a manual and they do not initially give it enough gas but then over correct and give too much gas? Is that the sort of feeling you are getting?

I am not sure what the brake warning light would have to do with this, you might want to get the code read, but it almost sounds like a clutch problem. If it were a brake problem you should have aproblem in second or any gear for that matter. But clutch problems are usually only noticable at first, in first gear. Also you saying that when you realse the clutch slowly there is no problem further makes me think it is your clutch.

How many miles are on the car (and what kind is it just for curiosity)? How many are on the clutch? How long have you had the car?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 05:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid
Hello, welcome to the boards!

I am assuming you put the correct fluid where it is supposed to go. It is odd that it started after you added fluid to the car. Is this the case? And are you sure you added the proper fluid into the proper place?

Is this jerking kind of like when some one is learning to drive a manual and they do not initially give it enough gas but then over correct and give too much gas? Is that the sort of feeling you are getting?

I am not sure what the brake warning light would have to do with this, you might want to get the code read, but it almost sounds like a clutch problem. If it were a brake problem you should have aproblem in second or any gear for that matter. But clutch problems are usually only noticable at first, in first gear. Also you saying that when you realse the clutch slowly there is no problem further makes me think it is your clutch.

How many miles are on the car (and what kind is it just for curiosity)? How many are on the clutch? How long have you had the car?

Thanks for the warm welcome!

It happened before i put the brake fluid in i must admit the light has only come on twice after i put fluid in it recently had a brake pipe changed on dont know if it might be to do with that, ive only had it 2 weeks lol ive been driving just over a year and im used to a manual gear box im 18 and not one of these crazy boy racers before anyone says hehe its been fine up till saturday night about 1am ish i was driving home and i set off from some traffic lights and it just started kangarooing as i set off, at first i thought it was me jumping off the clutch but it kept doing it!

the cars milage is 112100miles im not sure what the clutch has done though ive also had a code reader on but it has no errors!

Cheers - Dan
Old 12-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
I am not accusing you of not know how to drive a 5spd or of being a ricer or anysuch thing. If that description described what you are describing when you say kangarooing, then I would definitely have to go with the clutch. You might nto need new clutch but there could be a mechanical probelm, you might need a new clutch cylinder or somethign simliar. I unforutunately am not a transmisson person, but hopefully some one will come along that knows which part of the clutch could be causing this.

No errors while the light is on? What kind of code reader was used?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
topless_328 is on a distinguished road
Did you EVER have smooth acceleration in 1st in that 2 weeks you had the car?

Mike

-Automotive Engineer in Training-
topless_328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Start with the basics, did you do a tranny Job, even if you did or did not, then, did you bleed the Clutch and brakes? did you know the last time that your car brakes were bled? Try that. Check all brake lines to make sure nothing is bleeding and try to see if you can test your Master Cylinder to make sure is up to specs. Hmmm, Maybe while you at it see if you can also check the brake booster and making sure it got no air leaks. May be improbable in this case but you never know
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
BImmerN2B is an unknown quantity at this point
Ah, forgot this too. Check your tranny fluid. is easy to check.
BImmerN2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BImmerN2B
Ah, forgot this too. Check your tranny fluid. is easy to check.
doh! meant to put that in my first reply...
Old 12-14-2005, 05:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Thanks for your replys

First of all the car ran smooth and fine for the first week then it just started on saturday - however my friend has the same car as mine but a 1992 318i his engine has alot more acceleration now i dont know if it is the way the engine is made or if im losing power.

2nd i had to have one of the brake pipes replaced which would of required to pass an MOT before i bought the car, also theres a strange squeaking coming from one of the wheels at the back i thought it might be a bearing or something but it has got louder since the problem ive been having

3rd How do i check the tranny fluid as im not the most mechanical minded! hehe

Cheers -Dan
Old 12-14-2005, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Found the problem i thought id clean the airbox with some carb cleaner and one of the pipes from the engine to the airbox had a rip in the rubber underneath which i couldnt see untill i cleaned it and it was dripping from underneath! so i rapped it with insulation tape and it ran as smooth as ever!

so ill get the new part at weekend hopefully i wont be to costly!

Thanks for your help guys =)

very happy now hehe!

Cheers - Dan
Old 08-20-2008, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Stud68 is on a distinguished road
Thank You!!

Thank you!! Thank You!! And Thank You Again!!
I had the same problem with the kangeroo juice in 1st!!
I read your post and had a look at the air pipe and low and behold a tear in it!!!
Now i dont have to ride the clutch at the lights!!! Lmao!!!
Now one more time THANK YOU!!!
Stud68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mparack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMasterD View Post
Found the problem i thought id clean the airbox with some carb cleaner and one of the pipes from the engine to the airbox had a rip in the rubber underneath which i couldnt see untill i cleaned it and it was dripping from underneath! so i rapped it with insulation tape and it ran as smooth as ever!

so ill get the new part at weekend hopefully i wont be to costly!

Thanks for your help guys =)

very happy now hehe!

Cheers - Dan
I had the same problem. I opened the hood and right in front of me was the hose with a long tear along the circumference.

Removing this part is easy enough. Simply loosen the screws that tighten the hose clips on either end of the hose using a flat head screw driver. Carefully slide out the hose from either end. Take care that you do not tear the hose further. There is another rubber hose connected at the back that you will need to pull off. Give it a firm yank and it should come off. Then repair the tear using a suitable adhesive/tape. I noticed that someone had earlier repaired this but the glue had cracked open again. I cleared the glue, stuck the hose with superglue first and then applied a thick coating of a plastic adhesive that I had. You can even use araldite for this or some heat resistant tape on top to secure it even further.

I have attached pics of the part with the tear if it helps anyone at all. Takes max 15 mins to sort it out

mparack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)
Mr. Clean

Car: Titanium Silver E39 / 2011 BMW M3
Photos:
BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Glad you solved the problem.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
JohnnypE36 is on a distinguished road
Hi All

I just read through this thread as my E36 318i se, Is doing the exact same thing, Take off in 1st and the car thinks its a buckin bronco, As soon as you change up its fine, no loss of power etc. I have checked all the air intake pipes and there is no sign of any splits or tears, I have also checked that there is no blockages, Could the same problem as described above be due to the Mass Airflow Sensor?

Just bought the car, Failed and MOT this mornin due to a Ball joint and Corosion on the brake pipes, Costly at £200! not wanting to spend loads of cash on it as the last 320 coupe went up in flames!
JohnnypE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:11 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mizzchief is on a distinguished road
That is really helpful I have had the same problem and I also found a tear in the pipe would not have known where to look until I read this. Thanks everyone
mizzchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)