318is suspension help needed - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
DanBal999 is on a distinguished road
318is suspension help needed

Hello to all you BMW lover. Im new to the forum and need a lil help.

I have a 97 318is. with what I think is a problem in the rear susp.

Kinda hard to expain but ill try.

When cornering with the car it feels like the back wheels or at least one of the is turning and kinda sliding into the corner. If you are going in a straight line and and and steer the car back and forth it kinda feels like the rear of the car is sliding out. bumps upset the car very badly but no loud bangs or bouncing. feels like something is worn badly in the back but i can not find out what.

I have replaces shocks and struts. the upper shock bushings looked ok from what i can remember. Bot of the lower arms that run from the wheel up to the diff have been replaced " they had both been bent badly.

I installed 4 new tires 8 - 10 months ago. the 2 front tires are still 80% and the rears are now slicks. I installed 2 snow tires on the rear with studs and the problem is far far worse now. I think that the studs acutally slid easyier.

Since i have installed the studs i have also noticed the traction control light comming on when it did not before.

I am going to put the car up on the lift and take another look but the last time i looked i didnt see anything badly worn.

I have also noticed that if the car is slightly lifted on the lift and torquing the front wheels that if the wrench is straight up from the whell, when you give it a pull the wheel will move to the rear....... is this normal........ or are the front bushings also worn............... i have never seen this on any other car but i have never realy delt with a susp. like this before.........

Hope you guys and girls can help

TKS in advance.............
DanBal999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2008, 09:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car: 2010 (Prefer not to say here).
Photos:
thekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond reputethekid has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to thekid Send a message via AIM to thekid
Are your sway bars and links/bushings in good shape?
thekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Read this.....this may be your problem....I had this same problem.....I followed the DIY & problem was corrected...... & Welcome to the Werkz.....

United Bimmer - BMW Enthusiast Community and Forums : Bimmer Technical Help

johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
DanBal999 is on a distinguished road
tks

thanks Jonny Im goin to try changing them out...
DanBal999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Also, you won't need a special puller.....I rented this pulley puller for free from Advanced Auto Parts..... You pay the price of the pulley set $44.00 & when you return it you get your $44.00 back........It worked just fine.....

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com
johnny,
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)