318is manual for rally - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-07-2013, 03:52 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ratsknackers is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
318is manual for rally

Guys n gals

I bought a 323ia and had best intentions of using it in a rally, but it is auto and no locking diff so with the roll cage it needed it was starting to get a little much.....

So I sold it and bought a 318is 92 in cosmos with two tone grey and black interior few dents starship enterprise kms but underneath not a bad car good in the right places ,last owner changed the motor and after compression tests etc.... The motor is great, fuel pump,starter, battery, power steering pump, diff, gearbox new clutch, ac, both front fans, new discs all good so not bad to start off

Downfalls: it's running 17" style 44's (big fat spokes usually found on the 328ci e46)

Eibach springs (3.5 inches off the deck I need to be at least 6 inch)

So if any one has standard springs and 15 inch wheels to suit an e36 318is ill swap the lot if someone wants to lower a standard car in Melbourne this is a cheaper way and you get 17 wheels ............For free.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	30222  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So it's 10 days until we leave for the rally, (outback safari for muscular dystrophy)

Away with the m-sport suspension set up and in with good old pedders heavy duty springs and koni's

M3 alloys are off and Holden commodore pursuit cop rims 15" with proper rally tyres are on, with two spares mounted to the boot lid (plus a spare steel 15 road tyre in the wheel well.)

Exedy number one for clutch have donated a brass button clutch and a lightened single mass flywheel, Plus caps and T's for our charity auction.

The route, well CBD Melbourne to Bacchus marsh then state forests and fire tracks through south Australia up to just outside broken hill..... 3700 kms I think

We'll be through some dust bowls at some point so rear flashing LED's are to be mounted to the boot lid as an extra brake light,

front spots, UHF radio, extra battery, new wheel bearings and brake pads, PCV Valve all fluids and castrol srf brake fluid

Precision cut have made a bash plate that covers just about everything from front to rear with the water jet cutter so haven't had to move fuel lines or brake lines

Poor mans rally but seven days away with the boys for a bit of fun and some money to give to a good cause

When I get to the factory I'll take some shots and get posting

10 days "times a runnin out"
#3 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 10:21 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Good for you for picking a 318i. While not as powerfull as the 325i their are signifigantly lighter then the 325 and carry much more speed into the corners with better handing. All non-M E36's share the same brake calipers and components but the 318i actually has slightly better braking due to the less weight.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#4 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:09 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So was just under 5,000 kms through the Australian outback

Some fantastic dust sand mud in any order temps from 35 to -1 dodging kangaroos, camels

Av pace from 80 kms to 130

Only lost it once at 100 coming down a Slight hill hit water on the right hand side of the car which made it unstable flicked the wheel pulled it back only for it to switch the other way with to much momentum (rally tyres didn't help) and 720 was achieved !!!!

Most corners I could enter at 90 drop the clutch (brass button) which momentarily locked the rear end to start a drift dip the clutch max revs in 3rd drop the clutch and power slides were easy, too much fun

I only lost plastics off the car hitting sand banks to quick so I wouldn't get bogged front inner guards gone front splitter gone radiator covers gone

Front bar flapping in the wind but nothing race tape didn't fix

Oh lost the front fogs too!

Next year will bring a turbo and a bigger bash plate that will start just under the front lights and cover everything up to the back of the gear box and another two inches up on the suspension will probably use conti-tec bags so I can adjust for conditions

I lost a bolt head from the current plate on rocks so a friendly farmer zapped the plate to the bolts and zapped the plate to the chassis for a beer

Got bogged in sand twice but the support 4wd's pulled me through,

Fairly slippy in some parts even the 4wd was fish tailing hard
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	98
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	30442  
#5 (permalink) Old 05-31-2013, 07:34 PM
4DoorWhore

Sounds and looks like a lot of fun! Any more pictures?

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 05:44 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
So up on the hoist, button clutch from Exedy.com.au, new brakes, rally tyres, wiper blades, and bash plate......
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	90
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	30458  
#7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:06 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Plate is on, first time and really guessing,

After measuring around what looked to be breakable items (sump steering rack etc...) we decided to cut out stainless on the waterjet, took 20mins and bingo

The cut was great fitted fine bolted to the chassis at the back and subframe at the front

We didn't countersink the bolts in so drove for 4 days on three of the four original bolts, on a largish rock and it proceeded to clang off the subframe every time it took a hit

Met a guy in Moulamein called Rick who kindly zapped the bash plate to the subframe couldn't get the rest of the broken bolt out so we welded it and welded the other bolt too just incase and it did the trick, will grind it off when I get back to HQ

By the time I got home the other bolt was ground nearly flush with the plate....... Good job we welded it
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	30466  
#8 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Hit two or three sandbanks to hot and got bogged on the last of em'

Lost the front splitter, front fogs, small plastic under tray covering the rad...

And both front inner guards got spat out and made the trip in a support 4wd with the splitter

Had too tape the front indicator in and tape the front bumper shell on, to stop it flapping in the breeze
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	69
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	30474  
#9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 04:58 PM
4DoorWhore

That skid plate looks really well done. Good job

#10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:15 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Plate was a saviour but its taken a battering

I've pulled the front bar off too assess the damage and surprisingly everything is ok, until it goes on the hoist so we can unweld the plate and see what's the go with the leaking power steering fluid, hopefully it's a hose and not the rack,

I cleaned the shit out of it over two hours on Sunday and have turned the garden beds into a red dust and still the amount of crap on top of the plate is scary

I guess up on the hoist will give me a better idea of what we need to do for next year, already booked and paid cant miss that much fun

Always sideways is the motto and it certainly showed, the Exedy clutch is tops and I'd recommend it to anyone doing this sort of thing, lock up into corners and straight power grab at full revs (7000) whenever needed, still can't believe it lasted the trip without blowing up! Speechless......

I have looked at Koni ( I run them in the white 5 series and love em) but I think bilstein maybe the go just not sure if they will give me another couple of inches of ride height that I really need (can't believe I've said that I'm a low man normally)

Drove it off the drive and it still is happy to do donuts on Tarmac but that maybe cause the tyres read "competition only" on them, the only thing I thought the cops would pull me up on but they weren't fussed ( I didn't advertise the fact though!)

Will put a terra trip in and a hard wired uhf, and if its possible that the turbo goes on and works ok then I'll cage it too but only a roll hoop with bars to the front fire wall too save my feet from the pedals ( had a big shunt 5 months back and pre-safe and dual blow bags saved a lot of pain but that's another story and manufacturer)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	335
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	30498  
#11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 06:40 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Mr Vader

Do you know of the turbo kits being sold on eBay by fast way racer for 1400 to fit m42 engine?

Just about to buy one but would appreciate any feed back if anyone's ever done it,

I've searched the site but didn't find much? I am crap with tech though........
#12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 12:30 PM
n00b

medspa is on a distinguished road
thanks for sharing the pictures. it was really nice to see all those.
#13 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
4DoorWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsknackers View Post
Mr Vader

Do you know of the turbo kits being sold on eBay by fast way racer for 1400 to fit m42 engine?

Just about to buy one but would appreciate any feed back if anyone's ever done it,

I've searched the site but didn't find much? I am crap with tech though........
Ebay kits can be a crap shoot. You want to find one thats through a reputable seller. I dont think i have seen a turbo'd M42 before to be honest. You definitley want to find one that is a complete kit though.

#14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 06:51 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The advert is below, based in US

seems even if a few parts are the wrong size/fit we can fab up new bits but as long as the majority fits and works I think I'm in front, it's 1400 aus shipped

Description:
This is a perfect turbo kit for upgrading your car and get more boost. Your car will gain 100-150HP if you set at 7-15PSI. Customers require upgrade the fuel pump, injector and ECU to tune the car if you set at higher PSI. This kit can max up to 350HP.

Packages Includes:

TURBO CHARGER:
Brand new T3/T4 .50AR polished housing turbo charger. Max up to 350HP.
Inlet: 3.0 Inch.
Outlet: 2.0 Inch.
Turbine Flange: T3 Flange.
Downpipe Flange: 2.25''(ID) 4 Bolts Flange.
Type of Bearing: Journal Bearings.
Cooling Type: Oil Cooled Only.
Exhaust Trim: .50AR.
Turbine Wheel Diameter: 56.41MM/64.93MM.
Compressor Trim: .50AR.
Compressor Wheel Diameter: 53.87MM/76.58MM.

OBX E36 4CYL STAINLESS STEEL TURBO MANIFOLD+DOWNPIPE:
Brand new OBX E36 4Cyl turbo manifold+downpipe. It is made of high quality SUS-321 stainless steel mandrel bent for ultra fast flow, CNC machine flange with TIG welded construction. It has been Dyno tested and proven. It is direct bolt on without modification, utilizes factory O2 sensor position. It includes bolts, gaskets and allows power steering and air condition. It fits with T3 flange and 44MM v-band wastegate. This turbo manifold and downpipe is bolt on this turbo charger without any modification.

UNIVERSAL 2.5'' PIPING KIT:
Brand new universal 2.5'' polished aluminum piping kit. It is made of high quality T6061 aluminum. This piping kit is universal, it is not bolt on type. Customers need to cut and bent the intercooler pipe to fit your car. 2.5'' inlet diameter, increase more airflow. It comes with high quality 4PLY silicone couplers and strong and tighter t-bolt clamp. It can support up to 400HP.

27''X7''X2.5'' FRONT MOUNT INTERCOOLER:
Brand new universal 27''x7''x2.5'' front mount intercooler. The intercooler is made of high quality T6061 aluminum. It is tube and fin design, high flow and light weight. It can support up to 400HP and 35PSI.
Compress air flow rate: 700cubic feet/min.
Pressure drop: 0.2-0.5 at 15PSI, 2-5 at 35PSI.
Full size: 27''x7''x2.5''.
Inlet/Outlet: 2.5''.
Core size: 21''x 7''x 2.5''.

SSQV TURBO BLOW OFF VALVE BOV:
Brand new SQV turbo blow off valve bov. The blow off valve bov is made of high quality CNC billet aluminum and anodized finished. It includes O-ring, hardware and flange. Our blow off valves is a dual stage pull-type relief valve. Unlike typical push type blow-off valves, it will not leak under any level of boost. It is for maximum performance, incorporates both a small primary valve for ultra quick activation, and a larger secondary valve for additional discharge capacity. It is constructed of billet aluminum, which ensures long-term durability and a high luster look.

44MM V-BAND TURBO WASTEGATE:
Brand new universal 44mm v-band wastegate. It is made of high quality T304 stainless steel body and T6061 aluminum cover with anodized finished. It comes with 15PSI inside already, and extra 14PSI spring.so you can fully adjustable from 15PSI-29PSI. It is dual port, accurate boost, ultra durable diagram.

38MM DUMP PIPE+ELBOW PIPE:
Brand new universal 35mm/38mm wastegate turbo dump pipe & elbow. The dump pipe and elbow pipe is made of high quality stainless steel. Easy clearance in the engine bay, redirect the hot exhaust gas from the wastegate towards the bottom of the engine. Reducing temperature inside the engine bay. It can make a very distinct and loud release of air.

OIL RETURN LINE:
Brand new 10AN oil drain/return line kit. The oil return line is made of high quality stainless steel braided line and T6061 aluminum fitting.
Length: 17''.
ID: 0.5''.
It helps circulate oil from the turbo to the oil pan.

OIL FEED LINE:
Brand new oil feed line. The oil feed line is made of high quality stainless steel braided line. Special designed inlet adapter limits oil flow, and effectively prevents blown oil seal caused by excessive oil pressure.
Length: 36''.
ID: 3/8''.
It comes with one 1/8 NPT male fitting and one 4AN male fitting. It has restriction build in, and offers proper oil feeding to the turbo charger.

FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR:
Brand new fuel pressure regulator. The fuel pressure regulator is made of high quality CNC machined aluminum. It includes hardwares and hoses for installing. It can manage your fuel system requirements, and increase fuel delivery by rasing pressure. It is adjustable 0-140 PSI(0-10kg/cm²) for maximum fuel pump capacity.

TURBO BOOST CONTROLLER:
Brand new turbo boost controller. The turbo boost controller is made of high quality CNC machined T6061 aluminum with anodized finish. It comes with hardwares for easy installing. It is light weight design and allows you to adjust PSI ratings(1-30PSI) without changing the wastegate springs as well as replacing the wastegate springs.

OIL CATCH TANK:
Brand new oil catch tank. The oil catch tank is made of high quality T6061 aluminum. It comes with aluminum bracket, hose and stainless steel clamp to mount your new reserve tanks. The oil catch tank collects the oil mist and condenses the fuel vapors while allowing cleaner gases to be passed back into the intake. It will ensure better performance and better mileage on your engine.
Dimensions: 6.25''x3.25''x3.25''
Hole inlet size:0.3''
Hold up to 750ML.

TURBO TIMER:
Brand new pen style turbo timer. It is made of high quality. A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a per-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. A turbo timer can be programmed to leave the engine running for a per-specified period of time even after the driver has exited and locked the vehicle. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed.

2'' BOOST+AIR/FUEL+OIL PRESSURE+RPM GAUGE:
Brand new universal 2'' boost gauge & 2'' air/fuel gauge & oil pressure gauge & RPM gauge. It is made of high quality and light design. Clear and bright LED display when it is on.

Instruction is not included. Professional installation is highly recommended!
Item exactly the same as picture shown.

Application:
MAKE MODEL YEAR TRIM ENGINE
BMW 318IS 1992 - 1999 All E36 L4

Anyone's thoughts would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)