BMW Werkz banner

318is Conforti Chip

3K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  gonzonick 
#1 ·
Well i ordered the conforti chip from Turnermotorsport.com for my 93 318is. We will see how this works out in the car. It says a 19 tq gain at 2500 and a 11 hp gain at 6000. I dont know i dont really care about the numbers i just want it to move a little quicker at the lower rpms which they said it will. Looks like i will be the tester for this chip cause i havnt talked to anyone who chipped the 318. Well I will let everyone know how it goes to see if its worth it.

#2 ·
Well this is just great. hahahaha what are the chances of this i get the chip in today open the ECU and beleive it or not im one of the 5% that has a soldered in chip. Im calling them tomorrow to see what my options are. I want to just bring it to a electronics place and have them do it or i have a shop that does kind of work with computers a lot. Well we will see what happens tomorrow. Anyone got any ideas or know if it is going to be possible to resolder a new one in? thanks

#3 ·
Originally posted by gonzonick@Aug 16 2005, 08:14 PM
Well this is just great. hahahaha what are the chances of this i get the chip in today open the ECU and beleive it or not im one of the 5% that has a soldered in chip. Im calling them tomorrow to see what my options are. I want to just bring it to a electronics place and have them do it or i have a shop that does kind of work with computers a lot. Well we will see what happens tomorrow. Anyone got any ideas or know if it is going to be possible to resolder a new one in? thanks
[snapback]370108[/snapback]​
Take it to a dealer or you can take it to a electronics place. Its a 5 min. job. or for your self you can use a soldering iron and some metal heat sink clamps on near by chips. heat the solder till its becomes a liquid them wipe away. repeat till you can remove the chip. now you add a jacket or seat for your new chip . Its a plastice with metal lead piece that you put in the board and solder so you don't put your chip in danger of being destroyed from heat from solder.

BTW warning to everyone if you cause alittle bit of static electricity to the chip. You just destroyed your chip and possibly the rest of the chips on your board. SO make sure you touch something metal to ground or remove any charge to yourself.

#4 ·
ok well i just got off the phone with Turner Motorsports. They said that I have the option to send it back to get the refund. I asked if i can bring it to a shop and have them solder it in. He said they do not really recommend that but he said he is sure people have done that because the chip still works the same just a different way of putting it on the board. Now the problem is that I have no clue where to bring this thing without getting gapped ( taking my money just because it has to do with the ECU) It really is not that big of a job either. Ironmonk did you have the chip soldered in also when you got it? I dont think i can bring it to the dealer because i dont think they deal with aftermarket prodcuts. I might call them if thats what you say so though. Any suggestions on what to do i live in Northern NJ. thanks

#5 ·
Alright good news then. Got into contact with a few companies and none of them worked on ECU's. Finally came across KMD Tuning and they are going to help me out tomorrow morning... i explained what happened and they said yea no problem im bringing it by and it should take about an hour and about 85 bucks.

#7 ·
alright well i just got the chip soldered in this morning only took em like 45 minutes cause there are a lot of little pins on that bad boy to unsolder and solder. Anyway its not like its gonna throw you back in the seat or anything. Ill tell you exactly what it did it got rid of that gay ass launch where the car didnt even seem it was floored until 3k rpm. If you stomp on it, it moves. the power band is super smooth no obrubt changes at 4500 rpm its just full power all the way through. He said it will probably take up to 100 miles or so for everything to get settled in also. But im still running on a mix of 89 and 93 so im driving this tank out and keeping on 93. All in all i enjoy it very much some dope in a carrolla S tried to race me at a light coming home and i tore him up while on my phone. I even somehow got the tires to chirp from a 2 gear roll. So im pretty happy with it, as it even made daily driving better because i dont need to push the pedal down to get moving all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.