316 E36 Not Quit Right - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
fuzbox is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
316 E36 Not Quit Right

I have a 1996 316 coupe (1.6) E36. It has about 140k on the clock but every sevice has been done with every bill back to year dot, so has been well looked after. But it has a problem.

When you drive a steady speed the car seems to hold back and then goes, holds back and then goes in an almost pulsing fashion. The fuel efficiency guage on the dash swings slightly left to right in time with this pulsing.

I have considered: fuel pump, fule filter, dead cat and engine breather, but dont want to go to the expense of getting all this done just to find out its "none of the above".

Has any1 come across this b4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Have you filled up again since the problem started? You could have a little bit of bad gas. I would put some good fuel injector cleaner through the tank, I like to use 44k. If that doesn't work replace the fuel filter before looking at other more expensive options. Do you happen to know the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Keep in mind with the injector cleaner, depending on the amount of gas in your tank, it may take a little while for you to get the full effect.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the reply. I have had the car about 12month but my wife has driven it for the past 9months so I am not sure when the problem started. I cant tell when the fuel filter was changed, the paperwork that came with the car shows which services were done but not work that involved. I/ we have a real bad habbit of running the car till the fuel warning light comes on. We do this so we can tell how many miles we are getting for our money. (45miles for 10 at the moment ) But I supose this increases the risk of getting bits from the bottom of the fuel tank into the filter or even the injectors.

I will cange the filter this weekend if I can get one. (service parts for this car seem so difficult to get!) and see how that goes. If that doesn't work I will try the injector cleaner fluid and give it a good thrashing! I will post back to let you know what happens.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:58 AM
n00b

M40man is on a distinguished road
Hey fuzbox what engine do you have in your car. I thinking that since your in the UK that you have the M40b16 if this is the case you might want to take a gander at the CamShaft. The M40b16/18 are SOHC, not the known DOHC (M22/24) that they have back in the states. I have herd from multiple people on other sites that the m40 platform Eats thru Cam shafts. I have the 318i (M40b18) and i am having the same problem. It hasn't gotten to the point where im ready to take it in yet but it lingers there. tell me if you find anything out, as im going thru the same problems i'll hit you up if i find anything else out.

#5 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 07:15 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
If you keep running it until you get the light on you are asking for trouble, as you will keep pulling all the crap from the bottom of the tank to the fuel filter and smaller crap to the injectors, go for the fuel filter and a bottle of REDEX injector cleaner as I havent seen 44K here in the U.K.,but use REDEX not a cheap one, around 4 to 5 and it does two treatments, although I chuck the whole bottle in.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#6 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 01:25 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Dont have a clue what the engine is except yes it is a 1.6 sohc (chain drive). But normaly people refer to them as "Bullet Proof". I hope its nothing mechanical so will persue the service options for now as thats the cheapest rout. However if I get a chance next week I will take the rocker cover off and check for wear.

Since my last post I have found a supplier of BG44k in the UK Power Enhancer > Home They have an ebay shop so have ordered a can to try. (23.49 inc delivery) so its not as cheap as Redex or STP but the reviews just seem so good for the 44k.

So far I have replaced the air filter and HT leads which has made a marked improvement to fuel consumption (now 52miles 10 from 45miles). I tried 97RON petrol today which seems to have cured most of the hessitation when driving steady but its still there and still a bit lumpy when it idles. I think this points to the oxygen sensor not adjusting to the 95RON fuel, but the 44k claims to clean this so will hold off untill the 44k turns up.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
When was the last time you changed the plugs? also take the rotor cap off and give the terminals a clean up with fine sand paper incl the end & top of the rotor arm.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 11:11 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute thekid has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzbox View Post
Dont have a clue what the engine is except yes it is a 1.6 sohc (chain drive). But normaly people refer to them as "Bullet Proof". I hope its nothing mechanical so will persue the service options for now as thats the cheapest rout. However if I get a chance next week I will take the rocker cover off and check for wear.

Since my last post I have found a supplier of BG44k in the UK Power Enhancer > Home They have an ebay shop so have ordered a can to try. (23.49 inc delivery) so its not as cheap as Redex or STP but the reviews just seem so good for the 44k.

So far I have replaced the air filter and HT leads which has made a marked improvement to fuel consumption (now 52miles 10 from 45miles). I tried 97RON petrol today which seems to have cured most of the hessitation when driving steady but its still there and still a bit lumpy when it idles. I think this points to the oxygen sensor not adjusting to the 95RON fuel, but the 44k claims to clean this so will hold off untill the 44k turns up.
If you can, try to put the 44k in when you have 1/2 a tank. This will really clean out anything in your fuel system. Further, if it gets better but not 100% consider replacing your injectors, or doing the 44k direct fuel injector cleaning. You basically run 44k directly through your injectors, I've never had to do this, the cleaner you put through your gas tank has always taken care of this for me.

If it is your oxygen sensor you should get a check engine light, even if it is intermittent.

I apologize if anything above is misspelled or doesn't make perfect sense, my fiance is out of town so I've been drinking all day.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2008, 08:23 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I checked the plugs when I changed the plug leads last week and they were fine (nice light brown) also it had a service11 late last year with the provious owner so checked the paperwork and noticed they were changed then.

O yes I remember the days of the dizzy cap when engines were straight forward and easy to maintain. But unfortunatly my baby BM dont have such a thing.

I am expecting great things of the 44K when it turn up so fingers crossed.

ps. I only feel it nessasary to drink all day when my fiance is at home and if I have mispelt anything its cos i'm thick lol!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)