BMW Werkz banner

3 beeps

4K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  filmjay2k 
#1 ·
i have a 98 323is. whenever i'm on the road i get these 3 beeps. it's the strangest thing. i'm not sure what causes it to happen but it always does. the dealer guy said it happens when the temp outisde drops below a certain temp. not sure if i believe that. none of my gauges say anything when it happens.
has anyone else experienced this. i had a 86 325es that i sold to a friend and he says he gets the same thing. any ideas.

#2 ·
Ya.. i use to get the same thing.. I drive a 96 328i. Dealer told me the samething.. but i didnt believe that was it. It went away and now it hasen happened in a very long time. Also I only get 1 long beep when the temp changes and a beep or two for my Memo thats bout it.

#4 ·
yah i have that on my 318i as well, im from phoenix, arizona so i never heard them for two years till i came up to school in colorado, the first couple times i heard it it freaked me out i thought something was going wrong with my car. i never would have thought that it was just because it was cold outside. if you look at the computer when the beeps go off, at least in mine, you'll see that the temperature light will be flashing as well

#5 ·
Indeed, you guys are right. I have no idea why, but at 37 degrees three tones ring. I thought it was something the origional owner of my 5-series had set on the onboard computer, but three bimmers later they have all done the same thing at the same temp. I guess this is the temp when the car gets cold!!

#7 ·
Bimmers are programmed to "beep" when ever the outside temperature reaches 3 degrees C (37 F) as a warning to the driver about the possibility of black ice.
The next time you hear this sound look at your outside temp. indicator and it'll blink for about 8 seconds.

It's in your manual if you have one.

#10 ·
Ok guys here is what it is:

One beep is when temp is droping to 37F. This means be aware of black ice as some one already said, and also that bridges may be icy.

3 Beeps that you hear is because you have your memo button turned on.
It makes 3 beeps before each hour. 15 seconds before each hour to be exact.

So I guess even "Pros" at dealerships couldn't figuer it out and blamed it on temp. :) :driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.