BMW Werkz banner

Painting Molding

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  supark 
#1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has undertook the task of painting the side molding on their e36? I think the terribly ugly, unhealthy, faded grey color really detracts from the beauty of the car.

If I were to do this which paint type should I use? I've never painted anything plastic, so I'm not sure what would stick.

Thanks. :cheers

#3 ·
If you want a finish that will last, you want to use paints with flex additive. Rough em up good w/300 grit and spray em down with a primer with a flex agent. Wait for the primer to dry, then sand the primer coat with 600 grit so it's smooth to the touch. Choose your favorite paint color (paintscratch.com is a good source for color matched paints although they're a bit pricey) and lay down about three coats each of base coat and clear - the clear with give the finish luster and depth. Once they dry, they'll look pretty good but they'll probably have some orange peal. If you want closer to a mirror finish, wetsand with 1200 grit and then rub out the microscratches with 3M fine cut rubbing compound.

Some people might find this overkill for painting moldings, but again - if you want a finish that will last as long as the factory finish, you gotta put some effort into it. If you're all right touching it up every once in a while, then just spray it down with base and clear and be done with it (although I can't guarantee the results). Some people have done it this way and have had decent results - though I can't say for sure because I haven't seem it in person. An good quality acrylic enamel spray paint will be good enough for this purpose.

#4 ·
Originally posted by supark@Dec 9 2004, 03:51 AM
If you want a finish that will last, you want to use paints with flex additive. Rough em up good w/300 grit and spray em down with a primer with a flex agent. Wait for the primer to dry, then sand the primer coat with 600 grit so it's smooth to the touch. Choose your favorite paint color (paintscratch.com is a good source for color matched paints although they're a bit pricey) and lay down about three coats each of base coat and clear - the clear with give the finish luster and depth. Once they dry, they'll look pretty good but they'll probably have some orange peal. If you want closer to a mirror finish, wetsand with 1200 grit and then rub out the microscratches with 3M fine cut rubbing compound.

Some people might find this overkill for painting moldings, but again - if you want a finish that will last as long as the factory finish, you gotta put some effort into it. If you're all right touching it up every once in a while, then just spray it down with base and clear and be done with it (although I can't guarantee the results). Some people have done it this way and have had decent results - though I can't say for sure because I haven't seem it in person. An good quality acrylic enamel spray paint will be good enough for this purpose.
[snapback]246354[/snapback]​
Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.