BMW Werkz banner

250 Dollar To Change My Thermostat?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jshearer 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

Ok so I just called a mechanic in town here, and asked for a quote to replce my thermostat, flush my coolant system....

I already HAVE bought the new thermostat, and O ring, and he says it'll run me 150 dollars for the thermostat swap, and another 100 for the coolant flush... I don't know, but I feel as if Im being bent over here...

Is this something I can do easily on my own?????

Cause I aint paying 250 bucks for this...

Help, or direction is MUCH appreciated... 93 318 IS...

Cheers,
Steve

#2 ·
Yes that's way too much. I did it myself in about an hour and you'd be surprised how little work it is!

Remove fan
Remove tstat housing and hose clamps
Pull tstat out, put new tstat and oring in. re-assemble
Loosen coolant screw and let it all drain out then get a hose and run water into teh fill hole and run the engine at the same time with teh heater on full blast. Stop when the water coming out is clear. Then just fill it up with 50/50 water/antifreeze or what I did water and water wetter and did the fan delete!

#4 ·
I had mine done because i did not want to fluch the coolant myself and they charged $120 for everything including parts at a bmw mechanic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.