BMW Werkz banner

O No! Just Thought Of These

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Brian325i 
#1 ·
I plan on installing my new pulleys AND Fan delete mod this weekend.

It just dawned on me today that removing the fan AND underdriving the water pump could be bad news for my cooling.

Has anyone here done both mods?

TY

NL

#2 ·
how so? first off you live in new york , so its not extremely hot, and not hot all year round. so you only have to be carefull in the summer months..
secondly if you are doing a fan delete mod, than your electric fan should sufficiantly cool your engine. (dunno how your gonna do the delete but using the auxilury by it self could be risky)

I dunno though, a few unknown factors come to mind as i start to write this so i cant be 100% sure but it gives another angle

#3 ·
According to the writeup you need only the aux. electric fan to make it work. I guess I could always add another electric fan later, but damn thats gonna be a tight fit.

#4 ·
i have both of those mods done on my 328is, and they are great. make sure you put water wetter in the coolant, and put a lower temp fan switch and thermostat. Also to put the fan back on during the hot days would only take like 15 min. It also might be a good idea to put a 60% water and 40% coolant mix in because the water wetter works better in water than coolant. im not sure about this but i think the fan delete kit only helps in 1st gear because the fan does have a clutch on it which would stop the fan from spinning. Your throttle response is going to improve soooooooooo much over stock with these upgrades. good luck

#5 ·
So you do put the clutch fan back in during the summer? Ahhh.... well maybe I will just go out and grab an electric fan then :)

BTW: I thought the fan clutch is stop the fan from spinning after a certain RPM, not a particular gear or MPH. Something like, the fan clutch slips @ 4000RPM so the fan is spinning @ 4K while your reving your engine @ 6K

#6 ·
i just did the install and i should be fine till like june next year because i dont drive in traffic much and the weather is in the low 80's. an electric fan cost a lot of money, but if it is a too big of a hassle to do 15 min work twice a year to put the fan back on and take it off another fan would be a good idea.

P.S. i think your right about how the fan stops spinning after a certain LOW RPM. But when your racing your only in that LOW rpm in 1st gear. But for rolling starts in 1st it works great and it also lowers the rotating mass the pulley has even when the fan in not spinning because the clutch is the heaviest part and i think that is always spinning. It also takes a few pounds off the car :)

#7 ·
Actually if you take out the fan completely and put in an electric puller behind teh radiator then you have tons of room and works better. Just ask Autotechnica, his setup looks great. IF I had the extra money I would do it. Once I do have the extra money, I will do it.

#8 ·
Well I figure if I do the 'mod' then I don't need to add an electric fan. If I have to add an electric fan, then I would of just bought it instead of spending extra green for lower temp thermos and switches :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.