BMW Werkz banner

225/45 R17 vs 225/40 R18 wheels

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  mustang_john 
#1 ·
I want to put on my '95 E36 320i Coupe either 225/45 R17 or 225/40 R18 wheels with the same alloy rim and tire brands and model. Both sizes I like very much how look on E36, with a plus for 18 inch wheel. I know that only 225/45 R17 is a OEM size (see realoem.com). I want to know from your experience advantages and disadvantages for both wheel sizes, including fuel consumption, loading on engine and transmission, agility, steering response, etc. In theory I know how things work, but you know that in practise could be different!!!
Thank you E36 fans!

#2 ·
I would not reccomend using a 40 series tire. I have 225/45/17's on my E36. They give a firm ride with good grip.

If you drop to a 40 series tire, you will loose some of the flexibilty in the side wall and this will affect ride quality. Added to this, the smaller side wall height makes it far easier for you to damage the wheels when you hit a hole in the road or the kerb.

225/45/17's should be cheaper as well as they are a more common size.

Have fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.