$200 to spend on my e36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
john_18 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
As soon as my next paycheck comes in i will have $200 to spend on my BMW. whatever is on my car now is starting to bubble up slightly on the rear and drivers side windows and looks ugly as hell. There is a good place about 40 minutes from my house that will tint your windows as dark as you like for 150-200 dollars. Im thinking of going 20% all around. Id like them to be pretty dark but not incredibly dark. I need some help in deciding what to do. Does everyone think that 20% would be good or should i choose another percentage. All opinons are welcomed. thanks.

-John

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:43 AM
Neutral Member

Sandor18 is an unknown quantity at this point
I payed like 300 to my windows tinted on my old car, however i did go to the best tinting place in a 40 mile radius.
#3 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 11:45 AM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
It just depends. From a legal standpoint, there is a good chance that would be too dark. Check out the legal statute for your state regarding this. That will give you a good idea of how likely you are to be pulled over. Here in TN 35% is legal, and nothing lower. If I had 20% I would likely get pulled over.

If you dont care about any of that, go for 15%, this is above limo tint but is darks as hell. You can still see out of it at night no problem, but no one can see in.

#4 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Yea i think In VA the legal limit is 35% and no tint on the front windows

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
#5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 12:17 PM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
i have 2 cars, one with 35 % tint, and my bmw has 20%, i did it myself, it was a bitch, but it looks good.. still get a pro to do it

as far as whats legal, in maryland the limit it 35%, but i got pulled over by the cops yesterday for speeding, he didnt say a word about my 20% tint. thats just my experience, but the cop definately glanced at my car and he didnt say anything

to tell you the truth, i really dont see a huge difference between the 35 and the 20 when looking at the car from the outside

if you are sitting in the car, you can definately see a difference

i suggest... if you car is black like mine, or it is dark blue, id go with 20% to keep it cool

otherwise, 35% looks about the same

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:06 PM
2nd Gear Member

trinidon2k is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to trinidon2k
ny is 35% also....it doesnt matter where you go to do ur tints....just make sure they havee a warranty against peeling, bubbling, and all that other stuff......i got mines done in 2002 for $170 and the front passenger side started peeling like a month later....i took it the place like 3 weeks ago and they fixed it at no cost cuz of the warranty (dont ask me why i wiated so long to fix it....the place was 3 blocks away and i had all the time in the world...lol)......there are places in maryland, jersey city, and brooklyn that do it for $80 with warranty and everything.....and stuff like tints are extremely negotiable....atleast thats how it is in my experience...i have 30% in the front and 25% in the back......i wish i got it darker though....30% is light....u can see everything fine.....i should have done 25% in front and 20% in back
#7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 03:48 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
TMAC, Is there anyway you can post a pic. of your BMW w/ 20% tint so i can see it? My car is white so it doesnt get as hot as a darker colored car so maybe 35 will do but id just like to see it. thanks,

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&amp;N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
#8 (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 07:42 PM
5th Gear Member

brien4787 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to brien4787
it depends on what color your interior is. if you have black, 20 will be really dark, 35 will be medium.

if you have tan, 20 will be dark-medium and 35 will be light-medium.

getting pictures of tint may not be great off the net because it all depends on the lighting.

if you want to be able to see thru, but not that well, 20 will be a good bet, or even 35 if you have black seats.

35 will darken your windows, but you will be able to see thru easily during the day.

i dont recommend getting anything darker than 20 because you wont be able to see outside that well at night.

i have tan seats with 20 in the back, and like 90 or somthing in the front sides(california legal limit for front sides is i think 90 or so.(really light!))

good luck man.

!
#9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 03:27 AM
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by trinidon2k@May 23 2004, 02:46 PM
ny is 35% also....it doesnt matter where you go to do ur tints....just make sure they havee a warranty against peeling, bubbling, and all that other stuff......i got mines done in 2002 for $170 and the front passenger side started peeling like a month later....i took it the place like 3 weeks ago and they fixed it at no cost cuz of the warranty (dont ask me why i wiated so long to fix it....the place was 3 blocks away and i had all the time in the world...lol)......there are places in maryland, jersey city, and brooklyn that do it for $80 with warranty and everything.....and stuff like tints are extremely negotiable....atleast thats how it is in my experience...i have 30% in the front and 25% in the back......i wish i got it darker though....30% is light....u can see everything fine.....i should have done 25% in front and 20% in back
my interior is tan and i feel that 25% is too light
#10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 08:42 AM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
im trying to find a picture thats close enough for you to get a good look of how dark it actually is, but this is what i have

i would go out and take a pic, but god knows where the hell the camera is

if you want to know what 35% looks like i probably got a picture of my old POS Buick somewhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tintpic.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	8513  

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#11 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
2nd Gear Member

not sure if this helps...but this is what 25% looks like (back windows).....you can see the tan interior in the sun light.....from far in the shade/dark they look like 20% but not up close
#12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2004, 09:51 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
thatnks for the help

Alpine White 328 IS, Pioneer Head Unit, Jensen Band pass box, debaffled air box w/ K&amp;N filter, supersprint exhaust. clear corners and side markers, More to come....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)