1st Time Owner 325is Needs Some Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 12:41 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
j101franklin is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
just purchased my first bmw 1993 325is. would like to do some cleaning up to the vehicle but i have no experience. the car seems to run really good, has 115,000 miles on, but the exterior paint is not orginal and starting to flake off. also need to do some work on interior. would like to replace both door panels. where can i get? how difficult to replace? i will probably let some one else to take care of exterior, it also has some minor dings and scratches, but any suggestions or recommendations is welcomed.

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Welcome....

for paint detail you can do it yourself...got to
www.paintscratch.com and find your paint code...touch up paint starts at $6.00 for like a toothpaste sized tube to $60.00 for like a gallon.

also for other interior trim stuff and door panels you want to upgrade or improve ...check ebay...for used but usually good and very affordably priced parts. Some members like the www.bavauto.com website.

When you first buy a BMW like an E36 I recommend you get a full diagnosis either at the BMW dealership (for $500) or a trusted BMW mech. This will save alot of money and problems in the long run. BMW E36s are very tricky cars, but it's worth every red cent.

Also check www.realoem.com for parts. I feel they have a much better lists of stuff you may need and they also tell you the part number and costs of every individual part you need.

In terms of getting interior cleaning supplies go to the dealership...they will also give you advice and tips...Also see if your local BMW dealership have spa cleaning treatments...I paid $120 for a full interior detail and wash when I bought my car and I was very impressed....they got like every stain out and all the odors...in fact I had a new car smell...

Don't go to the dealership for door dings they will overcharge you by alot...I was told that a little dent on my rear door cost $250 to remove because BMW uses dent wizard that removes the entire panel and details by the panel and not the dents.

Good Luck...Welcome again.

Also check our DIY section for links to stuff you can do yourself...like coolant flushes, microfilter changes, changing bulbs and upgrading exterior trim like bumpers and exhaust pipes.

#3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:14 PM
n00b

j101franklin is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
what manual would you suggest for doing both mechanical ans cosmetic upgrades??
#4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:55 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
manual for cosmetics.. is bavauto.com - thats pretty much it

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:56 PM
Power Shifting

Cruzin 323is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Cruzin 323is
sure, there are other places...bu trust bavauto..

-SOLD..
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2229108/1 *UPDATED 8.25.06*
R.I.P Fast 6

stuff for sale on my e36.. CHeck it out!
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/aft...e36-49128.html
#6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:04 PM
5th Gear Member

TMac325is is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to TMac325is
bavauto is high quality, and reliable. for aftermarket lighting goods Umnitza.com is as good as it gets. i wouldnt recommend going to the dealer so much... its extremely expensive for things you could do yourself

<span style='font-family:Arial'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>T-Mac</span>
95' BMW 325is Jet Black, 5 speed
Xtec 6000k HID kit, DDE Enhanced, Euro Ellipsoids, M3 Front Bumper, Color-matched rear,
Alpine Mp3/CD, 20% tint, M3 Contour Rims, Smoked Corners, front lip
Clear Side markers, K&amp;N Performance Filter, Debaffle, Color-matched side skirts</span>
#7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 02:42 PM
quality

Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute Delmarco has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
I thought he's just looking for paint detail stuff and interior trim and cleaning stuff....not Depos and HIDs

I'm still with www.paintscratch.com if he just needs touch up paint....and bavauto is good but when I first bought my car I was looking for trim stuff for my interior I didn't find them to have a complete list of much....and Bavauto is not that cheap as people would lead you to think....they have sale items that you'll get for a bargin but the normal prices are just a close if not the same as dealership prices.

www.realoem.com is a more technical, thorough website for almost every possible part you could buy for you E36. I mean tiny trim stuff from door speaker trims to a new 12V lighter cap, to dash panel buttons and dials...which is the basic stuff that wears quickly on these older E36s.

Ebay is risky yes...but as with all risk the payoffs can be extremely great. I bought a set brand new OEM Rondell Y spoke 16 inch rims w/ 95% new Michelin MXM tires mounted on them for $400 last summer when I bought my car from ebay. for a great example . Even though shipping was like $130 it was still a steal.

But still for simple trim parts, replacement buttons and dials you wont pay out the ass at the dealership...and you could definately get stuff on ebay that you need for 1/4 the price. Also think about it the car is used already so buying used parts in good condition is okay instead of wasting money on new parts for a used.

For mechanical upgrades I highly recommend that you get the BMW Dealership Diagnosis. Its only $500 or less. E36 cars are tricky and you can't always tell whats wrong by simply popping the hood. Especially if you bought a 14 yr old car that has no service records. Get the dealership diagnosis, and then you'll know what you need to DIY. For mechanical stuff you want to fix check the faq sections from there...and most likely 90% of the problems or maintainence you could do yourself if you're handy with cars.

Also when posting on the forums ask specifically what you want to upgrade or fix (trim, engine parts) and maybe we could direct you to what you need.

good luck

#8 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 03:19 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Make sure you get the Bentley manual for your car. Very well spent $50.

Welcome to the BMW life.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-15-2005, 08:27 PM
3rd Gear Member

kyle_baker is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to kyle_baker Send a message via MSN to kyle_baker Send a message via Yahoo to kyle_baker Send a message via Skype™ to kyle_baker
well, he said that the exterior paint IS NOT original, so you must first we must make sure it was not painted an off color or another color completely. If it was just painted back to original color and everything, then paintscratch.com is a good place to find matching paint, but if not, then i'd have it professionally done. just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)