BMW Werkz banner

1998 328is super duper hard start

3K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  328Marcos 
#1 ·
Ok. so i got a 1998 328is that was a daily driver for a year then one morning went to start, used to start right away. now i have to crank for about 2-3 seconds and she trys then dies, have to do this 4 to 5 times then she finnaly catches and like nothing was ever wrong. purs like a kitten. im gonna throw this in.... when i used to start her she used to make a blower sound like a fan was turning but not the engine fan. now i got nothing on my start ups no fan sound (blower) , that blower sound would turn on and off during the drive kina like a electric fan but it was against the firewall. anyway please help with this :conf

#3 ·
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz. I have a 98 328i similar to yours.

Sounds like it could be a problem with your starter. Check your battery and ground connections to make sure their not loose or corroded to start.

The E36 has an electric fan and a mechanical clutch fan. Which one is not starting with the car on? The electrical fan is designed to come on to aid the mechanical fan.

The smoke may be attributed to fuel getting into the cylinder when you try to start it and it being burned off when it catches. As long as thick smoke doesn't persist under normal operation it should be fine.

#4 ·
Lord Vader

Thanks for the help... I know that both those fans turn on. I was refering to a blower assist motor located far rear and right by the battery jump port. it used to turn on the moment i turned the key to start then on and off during the drive. battery ports cleaned and mantained on a regular bassis

#5 ·
The blower motor for the heating right?

Here is how to find the resistor:
Remove the knee bolster.
Look up and to the right of the gas pedal, behind the obc.
Locate a white or green trapezoid plastic looking thing.
Unplug the 4 prong plug.
Pull it out. You might need a flat head screwdriver to assist with any clips.

Here is a DIY on replacing the blower motor of it goes bad:
Doug's Domain :: BMW E36 HVAC Blower Motor DIY

This link contains pictures as well as excellent trouble shooting. Any questions feel free to ask.

#6 ·
Lord Vader

negative... the heater blower in the dash works fine im talking bout a blower under the hood that is against the firewall, has a intake hose that runs on fender to front of car and gets fresh air. took it apart and saw a filter checked to see if blades were locked up but it was free. also has a vacume hose that runs from it to a vacume switch on the block then runs all the way around the front of motor to the area of the cam sensor. sorry but i think it is a start assist blower. ive seen them on all the e36 ive ever seen. as u stand in front of the car and look to the back fire wall and then as far left as you can there it is.

#7 ·
I'm looking at pictures f my E36 engine bay to see which part your referring to. BMWs sart assist was that it holds the brakes for 2 seconds when starting on hills. Are you sure it's not the one in the picture of the DIY I posted?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.