BMW Werkz banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1998 328is Adding Hp?

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  97alpineM3 
#1 ·
Im interested in purchasing a 1998 328is and adding performance parts. Is this a good route to go and can i sucessfully create a fast car with this car stock? Its a 2.8L engine 6cyl 5spd manual. And also what kinda parts would be best to add to create the best gain in HP for my money. Thanks

#3 ·
I'm COmfortable with my performance, although a perfect upgrade would be to save the extra cash from mods and go M3...

i would reccommend letting the car breathe a bit better via Cai and such, chip,etc, your looking at a 5-speed so u got better feeling for road and where exactly your power lies....

also take note of all of the other posts on modifications...

#7 ·
prices do matter, brands do too. it all depends what you want to do, if you want quality, than go for the brands, but if quantity, then go with the cheapest available, but then relieability comes into the picture cuz if you want something to last, than spend a little more money but you will have more performance and reliability, anyhow good luck :)

#8 ·
There are many brands that seem to work best on BMW's. Just a few: Dinan, AC SCHNITZER, supersprint, remus, AA tuning, hamman, and many more. The problem is price will never be cheap. Also you are looking at a 98. you shoudl dfeintely consider converting this car into a OBDI system o it can be mroe forgiving for mods such as a forced induction system (preferrably supercharger).

Good luck, and in any case you will be more than satisfied with a BMW.

#12 ·
Originally posted by robbins6103@Dec 27 2004, 11:24 PM
that is a lie Delorient.  M50 intake manifolds are cheap as hell on Ebay, like $100 max.
[snapback]259364[/snapback]​
Okay first off, I'm not talking about an m50 manifold. I'm talking about a Shrick manifold. Check your sites, the cheapest one you're going to find is slightly under 1k, and turner sells that. Doubt that price will hold for long.

Second off, I'm not so retarded as to purchase engine performance mods off of Ebay.

Before you judge people, remember, their ideas may be different, and they themselves may be sensible.

#14 ·
Here's a link to the M50 vs. M52 comparison. That Shrick better put out a HELL of a lot more than that for me to go drop $1100 on it. Oh and since we're on the subject of JUDGING...let's not judge eBay, there is nothing wrong with it.

#19 ·
dont get mad Delorient just because a shrick intake manifold is a waste of money....prove me wrong. BTW I have a Dinan CAI, Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan Stage 3 software, AA Gen 3 exhaust, and yes an M50 Intake Manifold.....you fucking make me sick with your poser ass M3 wanna be.

#20 ·
LOL, are you mad that you have 4 doors? Or that you live in Oklahoma?

Snap, some of us perfer to drive classier cars. Oh well, I guess that makes us posers.

Have fun with your 4 doors nub. Rest easy knowing that even with your intake manifold, my 2 door is quicker. Opps.

#21 ·
Hey y'all, we got a cat fight here! FYI, the 4dr is slightly lighter, so maybe .01 sec faster in the 0-60--big deal. Also, switching to obd 1 is a real hassle and much $.
For best bang/buck from what I've gathered, getting TMS shark injector, plus a good CAI is best. Dinan of course is awesome, but quite pricey.

Ebay has a lot of crap (bad aftermarket parts) on it, but you can find good deals if you know your parts and what you're doing. You can always run it by others on the forum here, though as you can see you might get a little pissing contest here and there. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.