BMW Werkz banner

1998 328i Oil light on Dipstick shows good

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  victort247 
#1 ·
Started my car today fr the first time after engine replacement. It has a rattle in what sounds to be in the top end. My oil light went on. The dip stick shows good but the RED dash light stays on . ??? This is what happened, i got a car with noe engine, so i got an engine from a diff car. i had to change the oil pan because it was damaged in the accident. so i finally finished it, fired it up and it just sounds bad. Just got the pressure tester today and have the subframe and suspension off with to take the pan off and check my pump and bearings. I dont know where to hook up the tester though. The first time i ran the car it had the foam then i wiped it and it never came back. Drained some of the oil and its not milky or gray. I just did the pressure test and have the results of ZERO oil pressure. Unless i did it wrong. I connected it to the oil filter housing sensor(which i think is the right one). Turned the car on for about 10 sec and the needle didnt move at all. Drained a bit more oil today to see if have more metal shavings and it all looks good and clean. NO foam or discolored oil on cap. ????? PUMP is bad??Done for the night, and this is what i have found out. The bearings, rods, and crank are all in good cndition I think. Well there is no scratches in them at all. The shavings that i thought were metal are the gasket maker i used for the pan. Now im thinking its the pump, oil galley clogged or Oil pickup clogged. What do you guys think. NEXT STEP??? What are the torque specs on the rods, pan, and pump?
What am i looking for on the pump? How do i know if its bad? The chain is kinda loose but the sprocket is tight on there.
what can make a nose in the valvetrain? Should I inspect the cams and valves? Could timimg be off because i think i might have turned the crank the counter clockwise when changing the main seals to take the crank pulley off. ??????

See less See more
#2 ·
got an engine from a diff car. i had to change the oil pan because it was damaged in the accident.
Well if you've no pressure that's why the light is on and the engine is rattling. If you've a shock loaded engine, then maybe the oil pump is damaged internally, shaft/gear broken.... You won't have foam/milky oil yet because, hopefully, you haven't run it long enough....... and the head gasket is still ok. Other than that, if you've used too much gasket sealant, maybe you've blocked up the oil pickup pipe....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.