BMW Werkz banner

1998 323is Problems

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  RIBEMR26 
#1 ·
hey, well i just got my bro's 323is, and there are somethings wrong with it, the door locks are messed. i can unlock the drivers side with the master key, but cant with the valet key, but only from the drivers side. i can open both sides from the passenger door lock, but the door lock button inside will only lock the drivers side. i figure that there's something wrong with the passenger side lock...but i haven't tried anything yet.

And also i have a tranny problem, ah when i shift in to first it pops out of gear and i have to start in second gear. is it something with the syncros??

Thanks in Advance

#2 ·
The lock problem has to do with the door lock actuator....haven't done it myself but it doesn't seem impossible to DIY...the part is like $50 I think....

not sure about the tranny problem....

#4 ·
Take the paneling off and check the actuator by itself. I cant't tell you exactly how to do it, but if you put it in the other door you may be able to test it. I say this because I thought I had a bad actuator, but every so often my passenger side door lock works. Some other wiring may be messed up.

Have someone look at your transmission. Cant't help you there.

#5 ·
BMW wanted like $250 to fix the drivers side door lock actuator on my car...I would say at the very least buy the part online and take it somwhere if you don't want to DIY...you'll save a couple of bucks at least...

I found the door lock actuator at www.bavauto.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.