BMW Werkz banner

1997 328i windshield wipers come on randomly

5K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  328EPW 
#1 ·
Wipers come on randomly, with the stalk in the off position. They come on and go off by themselves. The different speeds positions and squirters work when moving stalk. However in the off position they sometimes come on, staying on for several minutes at a time. When they do shot off its always in the home position.
The three main components seem to be the stalk switch--->relay--->wiper motor. (is it safe to say that if the relay was broken the wipers would not ever move?)(Symptom is not dependent on speed)
Looking for suggestions to isolate/check these components.
Thanks

#2 ·
update

so I replaced motor with a new used one and am getting the same symptoms. Wipers come on even though the switch is off. Soo Im moving on to suspecting the switch.

I cant find a thread discussing how to remove wiper switch from column.
Please Advise:conf

#3 ·
Have you replaced the relay yet? I would try that first.

Removing the stalk isnt a fun task. You need to remove the trim pieces under the dash first, then their are two fracture bolts that need to be dremmeled or chiseled off.

#8 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Hello Again-
Thankfully it has not rained in CT for like 2 weeks. Anyway I finally received a used relay from EBAY. $20 bucks. I popped it in and now the wipers rest in the up position...F-c- me!! Sorry about that.
2 steps forward 1 back....I guess am going to search if the arms/motor have to be set in a certain position. a zero degree point or something...
Thank you folks for your suggested sequence of replacement...I think the switch can safely be ruled out now.

#10 ·
Problem Fixed!!!
Relay was the problem...thank you again folks for recommending replacing the relay first. After checking with Bently I was able to see sequence of setting wiper motor to park position and reattach arm in correct orientation. After a couple tries I got it right. Wipers works!!!on to the next repair.......Which is replacing the Electronic Throttle Actuator on my wife's W124 E320 Wagon...Over to the Benzforum.
Thank you again everyone for your time and suggestions...truly appreciated!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.