1997 318 convertible 19,000 miles - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 04:51 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
slaterweezer is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1997 318 convertible 19,000 miles

I'm in the UK and about to buy a BMW 318 convertible with only 19,000 miles on the clock. This is my first BMW and being new to them I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

I know the car's history as it is coming from a family member, so I know what I'm buying. The car is a manual hood, with factory alloys, cloth interior and is in completely original condition but I would like to do a few basic mods to enhance it cosmetically.

Can anyone help me with some answers!?

Firstly, is it possible to fit, (or have fitted) an electric roof system. The current roof is manual, but I'd love to have it changed.

Secondly I've noticed a vast amount of threads about wheels already having already looked for answers to my questions, but I've not yet found a conclusive answer. I would like to upgrade the wheels and for obvious reasons I love the E46 M3 wheels.

a) Are the M3 "style" wheels on ebay and other cosmetic mod websites any good, and do BMW sell these wheels seperately after a car's purchase.

b) what are the maximum size limitations for wheel/tire dimensions for this model without any body modifications being done?

Thirdly, do M3 "style" bodykits generally fit directly to the 318 convertible with ease and can anyone recommend a good company for such mods in the UK

thankyou in advance for any help you can give.

Richard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:03 PM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaterweezer
I'm in the UK and about to buy a BMW 318 convertible with only 19,000 miles on the clock. This is my first BMW and being new to them I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

I know the car's history as it is coming from a family member, so I know what I'm buying. The car is a manual hood, with factory alloys, cloth interior and is in completely original condition but I would like to do a few basic mods to enhance it cosmetically.

Can anyone help me with some answers!?

Firstly, is it possible to fit, (or have fitted) an electric roof system. The current roof is manual, but I'd love to have it changed.

Secondly I've noticed a vast amount of threads about wheels already having already looked for answers to my questions, but I've not yet found a conclusive answer. I would like to upgrade the wheels and for obvious reasons I love the E46 M3 wheels.

a) Are the M3 "style" wheels on ebay and other cosmetic mod websites any good, and do BMW sell these wheels seperately after a car's purchase.

b) what are the maximum size limitations for wheel/tire dimensions for this model without any body modifications being done?

Thirdly, do M3 "style" bodykits generally fit directly to the 318 convertible with ease and can anyone recommend a good company for such mods in the UK

thankyou in advance for any help you can give.

Richard

1) I'm sure you could get a sun-roof fabriacted. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing and pay what they ask and you can do pretty much anything.

2) Yes you can get aftermarket wheels for your car. Try e-bay for best value.

3) THere are aftermarket body-kits for BMWs but you're going to get flamed for doing that to a car that isn't a M3... very distasteful IMHO.

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
#3 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 05:41 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rej487
1) I'm sure you could get a sun-roof fabriacted. Take it to someone who knows what they're doing and pay what they ask and you can do pretty much anything.
Its a convertible already.... I want to add a motor to the convertible to make the roof open and close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rej487
3) THere are aftermarket body-kits for BMWs but you're going to get flamed for doing that to a car that isn't a M3... very distasteful IMHO.
thanks, but i'm generally of the opinion that all of the after market body-kits available (certainly the ones that I've seen) are totally over-kill. For me the m3 style kits look good and simply enhance the cars' looks whilst keeping the E36 identity. I'm completely uninterested in how other people will view the car and do not necessarily plan to cosmetically turn the car into an M3, simply give it some of the features I like about the M3.

thanks for your comments.

R
#4 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Neutral Member

taylor is an unknown quantity at this point
Why bother?

I have a '97, and looked for a manual, not an automatic, top, for the following reason: when the electric top goes, and it will, it's one more thing to fix and pay for. It takes me 20 seconds to put the top down/up, and doesn't bother me at all. Save your money.
As for m3 mods, why bother, there, either? Do you want to look like a ricer?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 07:33 PM
5th Gear Member

Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice Red_Rocket is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to Red_Rocket
I think he is just refering to the M3 bumper, I personally think its cool, just as long as there isnt an M-badge on the car. I dont know of any companies in the UK, but im Sure you could get the M3 bumper OEM, and it would fit perfect, As for the skirts, dont know if they would fit, and for the rear all you would need is the diffuser.. it would look fine, how can putting BMW stuff on a BMW make you a ricer, just do it

#6 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 11:20 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
thanks rocket. Thats exactly the point. I'm not trying to fool anyone and I agree, sticking M badges all over it would be faking it and thats not what I am after... I'd just love to enhance a great car.

Good point taylor... I just like the idea of a power hood... maybe I'm just lazy...

...Living in london I'm finding car crime is getting worse and the idea that I could put the hood up speedily is an attractive one. Car jackings are getting worse, and though I am unlikely to even take the aluminium hard roof off for more than 2 months in the summer, the electric hood is a good idea. Just wanted to figure out if it was possible as an after market mod.

thanks anyway for your comments.

R.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about rej487 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to rej487
Gotcha. I wasn't tryin to flame you either, just trying to save you from the rest of the board jumpin down your throat.

There are plenty of good places to nab aftermarket M3 spoilers... throw on a wing... maybe a spoiler... tint the windows... you've got a bad@$$ bimmer man =)

good luck with the project.

and like i said earlier, e-bay is the way to go, just make sure the seller is reputable and even come and post here about the product b4 bidding on it, we'll be more than happy to help you along the process!

1993 BMW 325I - Alpina White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)