BMW Werkz banner

1996 318i loosing power when engage

4K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  Jack Dabsy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys;

Need your advice on my 318, Since I bought this car its been a headache, I cannot exactly Pinpoint the fault.

1 time i was able to make things better, and in my happines i tied to wash the engine with stp degreaser. and water it after. all was well until when im running on the road, the engine seems to be dying when I accelerate, and when in neutral, its ok.

after reading some similar incident in this forum, i change coil pack ang plugs,
but still its the same. it feels like a vacuum leak but all my hoses are tight,

any advice?

#2 ·
believe it or not it could be the maf i had all sorts of stuff happen car forgot how to drive littery after 9 months of it with techs and mechs haveing a look and charging like a basted bmw cleaned out the the maf till i can get the $1100 to fix it try looking at this and

#5 ·
it should be BMW cleaned mine ( its a 99 316)just make sure you use the rite product at first i was using throttle and carb cleaner and i didn't take the part out as i didn't have a screw driver tip to fit it didn't do any good in the assembly but in the cleaning video he says a product name but i didn't catch it

#6 ·
You can clean it good with a high alcohol based solution like Isopropyl, put the MAF in a sealable bag or plastic box and let it soak for a while... DO NOT BE TEMPTED to manually clean it with a brush or even put your fingers in there as it may trash the MAF, it's very sensitive...
Give it a shake or three in the solution too... Watch that sludge come off LOL.
Afterwards, let it dry naturally and re-install, Job Done...

#8 ·
Hi Guys here's an update on my car, i bought a crc maf cleaner clean the maf,
No effect.

Changed to new spark plugs, new coil, new fuel pressure valve, change throttle position sensor, cleaned Icv, and clean whole intake.

anything else I missed?

thanks;

Beewee

#9 · (Edited)
Ok so you had this problem after washing the motor? did you get the fuse box wet? and did you spray water on the passenger side of the firewall? this where you DME is located. check your fuse box to make sure there isn't any water in your relay areas and your fuses. Also go over your injectors fuel pump and fuel filter. It sounds like you not getting any gas to the motor when under load and from a far it is difficult to determine that it was caused by water or a crazy coincidence.

#11 · (Edited)
Why sorry Dabsy, youre very helpful , all of you I mean, and i need more suggestions guys.

The BMW mechanic came last night although he did not bring any computer, he said letys replace first the Cramkshaft position sensor, we also check the the coputer box and its all dry within, fuses are all ok. but Ill blower them later and check again 1 by one.

for now the car can idle roughly with a few spur of backfirem, but the engine dont die down, it keeps idling, so I will look for a cps again and mount it.

#13 ·
yup did that for icv and tps, have to do it for cps and cams, also i have a new fuel pump and filter which i replaced before, a few days before this happen. if its fuel pump it will not idle isnt it?

I plan to check the cps and cams today, as you guys suggested, tomorrow the cps willl arrive, and to be replaced.

#17 ·
I remember, when I wash the engine I sprayed water on the cps, but it still ran after that, only when were going home from the shop it started to loose power.

the new cps did not arrive yet.

How do i purge the air from the fuel rail? remove the pressure valve?
tomorrow a computer guy will come, lets see what it can do,

this thing is driving me nuts, I would like to buy a scannerrrrrrrr,

stay with me on this guys, maybe we may solve it, were near now.

give you update soon

#19 ·
How do i purge the air from the fuel rail? remove the pressure valve?
tomorrow a computer guy will come, lets see what it can do,
You will notice a small valve that looks like a tyre valve, remove the cap and press the needle until fuel spills out !!

#18 ·
Hi Guys;

I just replaced the Crankshafy sensor, and when i tried it it spurs badly, suddently i remeber I had 1 hose removed, I put the hose back and start again, unfortunately its still the same, althought this time i saw some tear on the boots connecting the throttle to the MAF, will that cause a backfire?

#20 ·
Thanks I'll do that, also I bought the hose already connecting the throttle to the Maf.
I was going to start the engine when, low Battery, I need to jumpstart however, theres another car blocking my way, so I have to wait for the owner for the key. who happens to be at wokr always:

Hope all goes well this time.

#22 ·
Hi Guys;

Miraculously the stealer with the computer came, I cannot read the name of his scanner because he hides it. its bluetooth connected.

so here goes he scanned it and none of my assumptions came out. It was knock sensor 1 failure, he removed the connections for both knock sensors and the idle did change, no more back fire but the idle died down.

so tomorrrow i need to pull out the Knock sensor, and some water tubes that were worn out and hoses as well.

I hope that will solve things;

By the way, anyone of you can suggest where i can buy a scan tool?

#28 ·
Hi,

I did that already and still the same, however, yesterday I swap the dme relay, and suddently the car work fine, I was already happy, I stop it, removed the battery and bought a new relay this morning. how ever when i plug it in, and start, it first went good and a few rev, it starts to backfire again?

Now, should I change the DME?

beewee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.