1996 318i 2 button remote programming
My 1996 318i 2 button remote key fob stopped working. Even with a new battery the remotes led is in a constant dim on state without either button being pushed (the battery will go dead several hours later)
I picked up an identical remote (same fcc#/part#) off ebay and the remotes led status is showing proper operation however I am unable to get it programmed as per the instructions I believe to be correct that I posted below.
As per the instructions below I am not getting into the programming mode after 5 ignition cycles with the trunk open (no chirp or security light on).
1) Am I using the correct programming procedure?
2) After 5 ignition on/off cycles do I end with ignition on or off? (i tried it both ways)
3)) Is it possible the security system isnt recognizing the trunk open thus not going into the programming mode.? Any easy way to check?
Thank you for your help!!!, Ken
Programming mode I tried.
for the 2 BUTTON REMOTES
Each remote transmitter has a unique identification (ID) code. In order for the replacement alarm module to recognize the transmitters, you must follow the procedures detailed below exactly , so that the module learns the ID code of each transmitter.
This code-learning (initialization) procedure must be followed precisely, within the sequence and time limits specified, for the procedure to be carried out successfully.
1. Close all doors, trunk, and hood.
2. The security system must be in the "disarmed" condition. The key must be removed from the ignition switch.
B. Entering Code-Learning Mode:
1. Open the trunk and leave it opened.
2. Open the driver's door and sit in the driver's seat.
3. Close the driver's door.
4. Cycle the ignition switch five times between the "OFF' position and position 2 (Ignition "ON"). The red LED will illuminate continuously, and the siren will "chirp" once, to indicate that the code-learning mode has been initiated.
Do not start the engine.
The ignition switch cycling in Step B4 must be performed within 10 seconds.
The sequence in Steps B1 through B4 must be performed within 45 seconds.
C. Register Codes:
1. Open the driver's door and remain seated in the driver's seat.
2. Close the driver's door.
3. Press and release any button on the remote that you want to register into the module. The status LED will shut off momentarily to indicate that one ID code has been registered.
4. Repeat Steps C1 through C3 to register any additional ID codes.
D. Exiting Code-Learning Mode:
1. Open the driver's door and exit the vehicle, leaving the door open.
2. Close the trunk.
3. Close the driver's door. The LED will turn off and the siren will "chirp" twice.
4. The initialization procedure is now completed. Test all remote transmitters to confirm operation.