BMW Werkz banner

1994 325i will not start

11K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  94 Money Pit 
#1 ·
hello, i am new to using forums, but have read alot of them. i thought this would be a good place join and maybe find some help with my 325i.

Yesterday i purchased a as is no warranty 1994 325i with 176000 miles, i know it is high but everything was working on the car and the engine sound and ran good. but last night when i was driving home from my friends place, the car hesitated, sputterd and died. all the electronics seem to work and everything lights up. it cranks but will not start. Today i replaced the fuel filter as the old one seemed clogged, and installed the new one i started the car up and it ran for about a second then shut off. i tried to start again and again, but with no success, i stop because i dont want to ruin the starter.

i have also tried cleaning the MAF and the throttle body and checking all fluids. I am also thinking of taking to a shop, but as a DIY, i would like to stay away from the autoshop as much as possible. If anyone could please help me on what i should check next i would very much appreciate it,

Also if there is anything i should i know about this model. I have for along time wanted a BMW, and would like to keep this car for along time. When it was working it was great to drive. it really put a smile on my face driving it especially getting alot of power and what look like good fuel economy according to fuel usage gauge.

anyways thank you for reading.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to the Werkz.......:)

Check all your fuses, if all fuses are good, turn ignition key to on position & listen for the fuel pump running on initial turn of the key, fuel pump is located in the fuel tank.

jbg :)

#3 ·
Thanks jbg, :)

I checked all the fuses, all were good, and i did notice a sound when i turn the key. but i think the sound i am hearing is coming from the dash or under the hood. and not from the pump. The pump is underneath the rear seat right? :conf

i just saw a video on fuel pump replacement for an E46. I think i will take it out tomorrow after work.

#4 ·
This maybe a no brainer :facepalm, but i could not find in anywhere on the internet and cant tell the difference in the pics from pelican parts, except one is blue and the other white.

could anyone who knows explain to me the difference in fuel pumps? There are two for my car one says (single line between tanks) the other (two lines between tanks)

my car production date is June of 1994

i ordered the white one with two lines as it looks like mine.

#5 ·
Disconnect your intake hose from the airbox and spray with something like gum cutter, or starting fluid. If the vehicle runs for as long as you are spraying the fluid in for it is VERY likely to be a fuel pump. If you have a multimeter you can also check the voltage at the fuel pump connector. (one that plugs into fuel pump under the rear seat).

#9 ·
I am not sure how different the IS version is but, if you open the hood inside the fuse box you will see on the top right is a black rectangular cover (looking from the driver side of the car), pull it off and it will reveal a blue, white and orange relay, i believe the orange one is for the fuel pump, but i cant quite remember.

#10 ·
1994 e34 m60 530i WILL NOT START FOR NOTHIN!!

I'm having a similar problem. My e34 1994 m60 will turn over strong but wont catch and start. I just bought the car a week ago and was driving it everywhere no problems. Then this morning it would not start. Tonight I've covered that my engine is getting clean spark. I've checked the fuel pressure right before the fuel rail and it builds up strong when I try to start the car. I've hooked an oscilloscope up to the crank position sensor and can see a sin wave. I've sprayed gumout into the intake and it did NOT start or run at all. I've checked compression as well at about 90psi in the front right(passenger) cylinder and 85psi in the cylinder behind that. Not sure what else this picky engine needs to ignite fuel?? Any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.