BMW Werkz banner

1994 318i Performance Tips

9K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  rborak318iS 
#1 ·
Can anyone suggest any worthwile upgrades to my automatic 1994 318i. The car is so darn slow and im just wondering if there are any add-ons or upgrades that will make a noticeable improvement in the hp or just simply fuel efficiency or anything you would recommend period. Right now im just putting a new stereo system in it but id like to do other improvements as well. Thanks

#4 ·
i think he's not wanting to turn his car into a car that will smoke everybody around him, he just wants to get a little more power out of the four cylinder 1.8l. i agree with him and feel that the 318 are slow and so are mine that is why i am go fix it up and put in some upgrades and then sell before winter to get an audi with a manual transmission

#7 ·
http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=14&...sis=11&Model=15

http://dinancars.com/Series.asp?Series=14&...ne%20Tuning#942

have fun.

Owning a 318 can be fun especially when you see a nice wide new M3 have to take a turn slower and wider than you.

Also when you take care of a 318 correctly it isn't as slow as you expect. These slugish problems happen for two reasons auto and the other is that you dont do the full used car buying maitenance. Change the following: oil, oil filter, coolant, fuel filter, air filter, spark wires and plugs, O2 sensor, (brakes, brake sensor, rotors, and ties)optional based on condition of these items.

The 318 may be the slowest 3 series it makes up in handling but its not the slowest BMW either. You make it sound like a mini could beat them even though some of you havn't driven one and some of you havn't even driven a BMW period.

#8 ·
There isn't much you can do to upgrade to performance. A chip is the most cost effective upgrade you can do. The CAI, exhaust ect is negligable if any gains realitscally. The best upgrades, IMO are suspension. It is great as mentioned above to be able to maintain speed through turns, I've never tried to out handle a new M3, but I suppose it's possible...

Putting money into making the car more powerful is kinda like if you are right handed with messy hand writing, yet you practice writing with your left hand instead of making your right hand proficent at writing neatly. It is a waste of time. Unless you want to go all out and do Forced induction by way of a Downing Atlanta S/C or a custum T/C there is no point. The only mods to my car that improve HP were put on and paid for by a previous owner, so unfortunately I can not tell you what gains you realistcally get from them.

#9 ·
Ya I drove a blue auto just before I found mine and said to the sales lady that it would be perfect if it was a manual tranny. THen I found mine - and love it.

At 4.20 $ cdn a gallon here I am really happy with the 4cyl choice.

#10 ·
i have to agree with theironmonk this car isnt so slow, the reason yours is slow is its an auto, this car is a lot of fun especialy in the canyon roads near my house with the high and fast reving four cyclinder,the DISA system rocks, best way you can improve throttle response is a good intake and chip.

#11 ·
I bought the Dinan chip today and get it installed next week.
I will let everyone know what it is like..

#13 ·
Originally posted by WarNox@Aug 16 2005, 11:38 PM
i bet ur 318i, if manual, would be just as quick as my 320i, stupid 1375kg's! but with high km's i wanted a 6cyl car!
[snapback]370164[/snapback]​
I am one of the few here that actually wanted the 4cyl.
I bought it a year ago thinking that gas prices will never be cheap anymore.. and look what happened. Very happy I bought it.

#16 ·
grant862 said:
Can anyone suggest any worthwile upgrades to my automatic 1994 318i. The car is so darn slow and im just wondering if there are any add-ons or upgrades that will make a noticeable improvement in the hp or just simply fuel efficiency or anything you would recommend period. Right now im just putting a new stereo system in it but id like to do other improvements as well. Thanks

first question, how much $$$ do u have to spend...

#17 ·
I have a 94 318iS and it by no means is slow. Its a driver's car meaning that it wont beat every car on the road but it's fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Of course its comfortable and everything else. I think if you want something faster you would be better off performance and longevity wise to just get a 323 or 325. You can probably find one for about how much you'd have to spend to get any substantial power gain out of the 318. Mods are cool but if you are at an entry level bimmer and planning to modify it i think its probably more practical just to get the step up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.