1993 316i won't jump start - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gavinng is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1993 316i won't jump start

Hey guys, been driving my 316 with absolute joy. Absolutely love my car but just recently it wouldn't start.

I take frequent trips to my gf's house about twice a month which puts on about 460km one way. Driving on the German Autobahn is AWESOME! just wish I had a more powerful engine!

I got back from my lady's place on a monday, tuesday went to work and everything was fine, then on wednesday the car wouldn't start. The temperature had dropped quite a bit and heard from a german mechanic that causes problems with the BMW computer system...any how...

I go out to start my car and the central locks don't work. Just the driver side opens. I try to start the car and the engine cranks....turns turns turns, but doesn't fully turn over. Light, radio, clock, and everything else electrical works fine. I tried to jump start it and it didn't start. First had it hooked up for about 2 mins. Tried again later in the day and had it hooked up with the jumper car sitting around 2000 RPM for 12 minutes before I tried to start my car (Yes I timed it). Still no luck.

The mechanic that I spoke to said with the BMW in a change in temperature sometimes you have just floor the gas pedal when starting the car. He said it could take about 15 seconds of starting the car and holding down the gas pedal then it may work. No such luck with my car of course!

I've been trying to check the spark plugs to see if that is the case as I have seen a slight (very slight) drop in MPG. Unfortunately for my dumb a** i can't seem to locate the spark plugs. I've done research online at where it is and I can't seem to find anything. I can find e36 sparkplug removal links but the engine is different than mine. The few people I ask tell me the same as what I found online...remove the two screws on top of the engine near the oil cap and the plugs will be revealed. I don't have that in my car. I have included a picture of what my engine looks like. It's not my car, but a pic that I found online.

I haven't had any symptoms before this that would tell me something is wrong with my car. The only problem I had was that my locking system was acting up the past three weeks. I would try to manually lock it, it would lock then unlock a split second later, then I would lock it again and it would be fine. That is the only problem I've had.

Sorry for the long post but I am trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my baby. If you guys have any tips, ideas, insight or anything as to what is wrong with my car, then please feel free to share. Thank you very much. Auf Wiedersehen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photos19.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	29952  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)