1992 325is Several Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 07:38 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
danyal711 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok, so simple stuff first. I have a 1992 325is (auto) and I have quite a few questions...

First off, my power windows only go up and down incrementally. So if you press the down button, the window goes down about an inch and then stops, so in order to get the window to go completely down, you have to press the window button like 20 times. What could be causing this and how can I fix it. I don't think it is the battery, because I am running a medium wattage audio system off the battery and that works fine (~400 watts). Furthermore this problem occured before I even had the system in. Also, *sometimes* the drivers side window goes up and down all the way without stopping. This happens very rarely but it does happen.

Secondly, I am just about due to get my brakes changed. There is a specific shop I take it to and the last couple times I have gotten my brakes changed they say that I need to get the rotors replaced as well. Their claim is that on these old bmw's, after a certain point in time in the cars life you always have to replace the rotors. Anyways, I know this could totally be bs but I just want to make sure (there doesnt seem to be very much vibration when I brake which I have heard is a sign of warped rotors etc, is there any other way to tell if the rotors are damaged?). Basically, I want to replace the brakes myself this time and I was wondering how complicated/recommended this is (I managed to install intake and exhaust by myself so I more or less know what I am doing and/or can figure it out easily by looking at online tutorials). So, what type of brake pads should I buy, is that all I need, and how can I tell if my rotors/other brake equipment is in good shape?

Finally, I am thinking about getting a turbo setup for this car (car is auto btw). I know very very little about turbos and stuff of that nature but basically, first of all would it be possible to use a T3/T4 hybrid turbo on this car. Also, if I got a turbo, could the engine/tranny handle it? If I ended up getting the turbo, what other parts do I need to complete the package (oil cooler etc etc). Would this be ok or not recommended based on the car? Lastly, I know that turbo setups are probably difficult to install but do you think I would be able to manage with a medium knowledge of cars/tools or is it one of those things you should just take to a shop?

Thanks for reading... I appreciate it.
-Danyal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 08:12 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dudesky_E36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Dudesky_E36
Quote:
Originally posted by danyal711@Aug 25 2005, 06:38 PM
First off, my power windows only go up and down incrementally. So if you press the down button, the window goes down about an inch and then stops, so in order to get the window to go completely down, you have to press the window button like 20 times. What could be causing this and how can I fix it.
Fairly easy fix, here's a link:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...highlight=alarm

Quote:
Secondly, I am just about due to get my brakes changed. There is a specific shop I take it to and the last couple times I have gotten my brakes changed they say that I need to get the rotors replaced as well. Their claim is that on these old bmw's, after a certain point in time in the cars life you always have to replace the rotors. Anyways, I know this could totally be bs but I just want to make sure (there doesnt seem to be very much vibration when I brake which I have heard is a sign of warped rotors etc, is there any other way to tell if the rotors are damaged?). Basically, I want to replace the brakes myself this time and I was wondering how complicated/recommended this is (I managed to install intake and exhaust by myself so I more or less know what I am doing and/or can figure it out easily by looking at online tutorials). So, what type of brake pads should I buy, is that all I need, and how can I tell if my rotors/other brake equipment is in good shape?
Minimum thickness for stock vented front rotors is 20.4mm. For the stock solid rears, it's 8.4mm. This is according to BMW's specifications. The good news is that you can replace the rotors and pads easily, and without having to bleed the brake lines. There are a number of DIY's out there.

On the subject of turbos, I don't know much about them

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)