1992 325i Question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E36) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1992-1999. Autodoodad Specific models include: BMW 316i, BMW 318i, BMW 318iS/ti, BMW 320, BMW 323, BMW 320, BMW 324, BMW 325, BMW 328.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Xport is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Xport
(Thread Starter)
1992 325i Question

I am looking at trading my car (2dr - not disclosing the type of car) - for a 1992 325i 4dr - I have a baby on the way and need a larger vehicle. Just wanted to know if these models had any/a lot of problems or if they were fine, any info is nice. Also, is it a safe car for a child? Does the backseat area have ample space to fit a car seat? (I'm sure it's more than my 2dr)

I appreciate any help. This is what was told to me about the car:

"1992 BMW 325I BLACK ON BLACK COMPLETE CAR, CAR RUNS AND DRIVES EXCELLENT, DRIVEN 24 MILES DAILY, GREAT ON GAS, THE CAR HAS MANY NEW PARTS 212XXX MILES. Aftermarket Cd player with i pod hook up "

For sale for $3000 or trade

I get worried about "the car has many new parts" - Translates to me as: car messed up, got some things fixed.

Again, thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
It would have had many new parts as it is around 18 years old after all....here's a little read:

Car review: BMW 3-Series E36 (1991 - 1998)

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Neutral Member

92cleanbeam is on a distinguished road
Smile

I have a 92 but its a 2dr. However it is a six cylinder and only has 106k miles on it. Its in very good condition considering its age. The only issues I have are minor but annoying. My door latches have been sticking due to the cold weather i guess. I fixed it with WD-40. After which my driver window started clicking and tweaking out when i roll it up. It can't make its mind up. I think it s the switch though cuz if you push the switch in a certain spot its fine. The car also had an entirely new cooling system. The whole thing was replaced. The only thing not replaced was the heater coil. Which leaks very very little. Just enough to smell the fluids inside the car, but only when heater is on. Overall though it is a great running car. Its got a strong running motor. One more thing to note, the car runs like crap unless you put 89+ octane fuel in it. Anything under that and the car stops producing power over 3k rpm. So I paid 2900 about 5 months ago. I bought it from original owner who had all the documentation for it. The glove box looked like it had never been touched. All the manuals there, the tool kit, the spare, and the interior is in great condition. I think these are great cars but try to get the guy to come down on his price. As anything over 200k is not gonna be easy for anyone to sell. Sounds like someone put a bunch of money in it and wants it back. Tough luck!! I am sure we have all put money into a car which just continues to break and in turn get mad enough to sell. However, the costs of these parts are not valued against the car. The car should run the car should have nice parts and none defective but a potential buyer should not have to assume the sellers misfortunes. Offer no more than $2500. The seller will have that car in his drive for a long time if he doesn't take offer. Better yet you should offer $2000 and tell him you can't afford for a 212k mile car to break down as soon as you buy it. That you need the 1K for potential problems.
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
That's the longest response I've gotten (between two forums) and most detailed as well. I appreciate it. I'm actually looking at trading for the car. I just paid off a 2002 Chevy Cavalier (yes, I know, please don't comment) - and this guy has his car up for trade. He said he was interested- we have yet to meet up...
#5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xport View Post
I am looking at trading my car (2dr - not disclosing the type of car) - for a 1992 325i 4dr - I have a baby on the way and need a larger vehicle. Just wanted to know if these models had any/a lot of problems or if they were fine, any info is nice. Also, is it a safe car for a child? Does the backseat area have ample space to fit a car seat? (I'm sure it's more than my 2dr)

I appreciate any help. This is what was told to me about the car:

"1992 BMW 325I BLACK ON BLACK COMPLETE CAR, CAR RUNS AND DRIVES EXCELLENT, DRIVEN 24 MILES DAILY, GREAT ON GAS, THE CAR HAS MANY NEW PARTS 212XXX MILES. Aftermarket Cd player with i pod hook up "

For sale for $3000 or trade

I get worried about "the car has many new parts" - Translates to me as: car messed up, got some things fixed.

Again, thanks for any help.
Is it safe? Relative. You have to keep in mind it was designed in the 80s. Compared to other cars of the era? Yes. Compared to some cheap Korean box of today? It can hold it's own ... just don't expect it to be as safe as a brand new BMW. Don't take that the wrong way: it will protect you reasonably well in a crash, just don't think you'll come out unharmed if you collide with a semi and then roll off a cliff ...

The "problems" they had: automatic transmissions are known to give out, but with that many miles, it has likely had it replaced at some point. The other major fault they all develop is the cooling system, which is not really too expensive to sort out. Aside from that, they're pretty solid.

The "many new parts" line should not worry you (well unless new parts are body parts ...) ... it's a 18 year old car, things have and will break, and at least the owner has taken the correct approach to fixing it, not "living with it" or doing ghetto fixes you see people do all the time.

That said, 3000 seems like quite a bit of money unless the car is in excellent shape in every way, shape or form.

edit: Honestly, I'd recommend a 91-95 525i: they are mechanically the same, better built all around (no odd squeaks or rattles) and are a lot bigger and a lot safer.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:03 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
The guy said the car had some clear coat issues... In the picture I seen, there was a brand new jeep beside it, I don't think this car is driven often. Again, I am trying to trade my Cavalier for it... I'm not worried about the speed, honestly, my Cavalier will get up and go if I need it to and it's a 4 banger... I haven't looked much into BMW's and just learned the 318i is the 4cyl version of the 325i - maybe something I would look into... Do the 318i's go for considerably less seeing as most people are into speed and not gas prices? Lol

Thanks again guys, even if I don't trade, I think I may look into saving up for a BMW one day... - It's basically a goal now, I just never knew how inexpensive the older models were...
#7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xport View Post
The guy said the car had some clear coat issues... In the picture I seen, there was a brand new jeep beside it, I don't think this car is driven often. Again, I am trying to trade my Cavalier for it... I'm not worried about the speed, honestly, my Cavalier will get up and go if I need it to and it's a 4 banger... I haven't looked much into BMW's and just learned the 318i is the 4cyl version of the 325i - maybe something I would look into... Do the 318i's go for considerably less seeing as most people are into speed and not gas prices? Lol

Thanks again guys, even if I don't trade, I think I may look into saving up for a BMW one day... - It's basically a goal now, I just never knew how inexpensive the older models were...
The 318s can be bought for a little cheaper, though not much. Brand new, they cost considerably less ... but depreciation has taken away most of the difference. They are a little better on gas so you might see savings there, but really it's nothing to write home about: buy whatever is in better shape if you're trying to decide between the two and don't care if you have 140 or 190hp.

btw, small correction: the 318 isn't a version of the 325 ... they're all versions of the "e36 (or to the common person 92-98) 3-series" as they're commonly known.

#8 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:36 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Ah yes, I meant... E36. :P

Just saying basically like a 325i just a 4cyl.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:00 AM
Neutral Member

92cleanbeam is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I cant even imagine what a 4cyl would be like. I am rolling this I-6 and thinking about how to add power. I still coming down from a mustang that i built that ran low tens in a quarter. While you are looking for safety I am looking for speed and safety and something tells me you like a little pep in your step. With that being said you would like the 6cyl cuz it is very sturdy and responsive. I have driven many imports mostly Acura and Honda. All good cars but very "soda can" feelings inside. I never felt like I was in a "tough" car but they were quick. In the 325is, even though its a 2 door, I feel a protected sense and comfortable behind the wheel. The only issue I have is that the back seatbelts come down through the middle. So the latch is on the outside of the seats. For some reason my child seat feels loose at times.Lets be clear, I am a car salesman, and for the money i paid for mine, I think I got a hell of a deal. We in the car industry call these cars "cream puffs". Like Torques ride. That is a great looking car inside and out from what I can tell. But if you look in NADA or KBB the highest retail is 3-6 depending on the year. The fact is that you can not put a real value on any car that is appraised at less than ten thousand dollars. Its not fair. There are 325is pieces of junk on the road today that I wouldn't pay a dime for. However there are 325is cars that look immaculate and have been well maintained that are worth every bit of 8 thousand. Not to say anyone would buy them at that. The point is I guess after my rant. If it looks and feels like a good car, IT IS. If something just isn't right when you drive it, such as in the powertrain, then scrap the idea. Otherwise to go from a 2002 I think u said to a 92 is no issue I also went from a 2005 to a 92 and have no regrets. Its funny that this car has more options and technology than my 05. Yes it was a FORD. But for sure never a cavalier. This will be an upgrade for you. GOod LuCk.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Well the guy I was originally dealing with is a lollygagging fellow that doesn't seem like he wants to do anything with his car. I am talking to a guy with a 318i now, it's hard to find people to trade with or people that are asking a reasonable price... either way it's listed for $1500 and if the guy that goes to look at it tomorrow doesn't get it, I probably will. Lol- and the "this will be an upgrade for you" I LOL'd - I am sure it will be, the Cavalier doesn't have many features, it was cheap and looked better than my 95 Neon...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E36)