BMW Werkz banner

1992 325i Performance Chip / Ebay

4K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  kyle_baker 
#1 ·
Why pay more than you have to? Has anyone purchased a chip on eBay? A bulk of them list starting at $34.95.

#3 ·
I have only heard bad about the ebay chips. I am sorry but there is a difference between even the high priced chips. Yes they all do basically the same thing, but they also all claim different hp and torque gains. I have the conforti chip from turnermotorsport.com and recommend it highly. I think it is one thing to buy mods for cosmetics of our car from ebay and have no problems buying taillights, shiftknobs, and such. Modding the engine with cheap ebay stuff on the other hand is something I don't trust and would never do.

Edit: Also when you order a chip you have to know the exact ECU number and production date of your car so that they can get you the right chip. Ebay doesn't give you that option. Who knows if the chip will work for sure.

#5 ·
I don't trust ebay for that but I have heard that those chips are just like the brands they say they are copied off of. I guess it may just be as simple as they copied the programming off a real chip and put it on a new chip without the price tag. Who knows till we see dynos.

#7 ·
Originally posted by ///M Power@Mar 15 2005, 02:16 AM
I don't trust ebay for that but I have heard that those chips are just like the brands they say they are copied off of. I guess it may just be as simple as they copied the programming off a real chip and put it on a new chip without the price tag. Who knows till we see dynos.
[snapback]311732[/snapback]​
I have heard that too, but a copy is not the real thing. They could use cheaper quality chips to copy too. It would be like buying a burned dvd off some street vendor. You get home to watch the new hot movie and find out that it is the movie.........but that it was recorded by someone on their video camera while sitting in a theatre. Yes it is the same thing, but not the same thing at all. (Lower quality)

#9 ·
I am not saying it won't work. I am saying that the quality may not be as good as say a conforti or dinan. I don't trust anything that is $35 when the real one is $250. Again like Furious said I don't trust those things with the most important and complicated part of my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.