BMW Werkz banner

100k Too Much For Engine To Buy?

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  jshearer 
#1 ·
Just wondering how much is too much when looking for your first car. Looking at E36s, and most of the ones i find so far are in this range, 100k up. Just wanting to see. Also, Im going to have mech run thru any car I buy, but will he be able to tell how much life is left in the parts? Thanks guys, sorry if its newb, but well, I am haha

#4 ·
Getting a car with lower miles will be a better purchase, obviously. In general, the 100k mile threshold does not have as much siignificance on a BMW. My car has 179k on it and you wouldn't be able to tell. I don';t plan on replacing it for another 45k or so. I don't think the engine will need it then, I just know I'll want something newer, eventually.

Furious' suggestion is good -- if the car has too many miles on it ( I would say above 150k), have the engine tested, just to make sure.

#5 ·
About 9 months ago I bought a 1995 318i with 114,000 miles for $5,100. It is an automatic. I changed the oil, flushed the coolant, put in new spak plugs, replaced two rear brake light bulb holders, and redid the brake pads. Now it has 124,000 miles with no other repairs or maintenance. It is a nice car although the CD player in the trunk rarely works.

#7 ·
Originally posted by BMWStatic@Apr 28 2005, 06:55 PM
Just wondering how much is too much when looking for your first car. Looking at E36s, and most of the ones i find so far are in this range, 100k up. Just wanting to see. Also, Im going to have mech run thru any car I buy, but will he be able to tell how much life is left in the parts? Thanks guys, sorry if its newb, but well, I am haha
[snapback]338945[/snapback]​

I just bought a 1992 325i with 195,000 miles on it. Withstood a 600 mile trip like it was nothing. Its mechanically perfect. Payed under 6K for it, so it was definatly worth it.

#9 ·
The higher the miles the lower the price. I personally won't buy a car with that many miles but then again I never plan to drive a car til it dies either I want there to be some life left after I am done to sell it to someone else.

I bought mine with 70k for $8,000. I had to look for a year to find one in that price range with that low of miles.

#10 ·
I just passed 100k miles the other day on mine. I would have to echo everyone else's thoughts -- 100k miles on a BMW isn't that much provided you take care of the engine. Sure there will be other things that will go, but the engine is pretty damn robust.

I don't think I would ever buy one with over 100k miles though... try to find a low mileage one that has been taken care of. This normally seems to end up being the "best" car, but you'll pay for it. Just my thoughts... and I know a lot of people think different.

#11 ·
Thank you guys for all the help. I was also wondering that if i buy 100k plus, am I looking at any major mech repairs (more thank $500 ) in the near future? And when I get a pre buy inspection, would it show me how worn everything is, and if im looking at a solid car all around? Thanks guys, sorry if my newbness kills you haha

#14 ·
I drive my BMW in winter whether we get 7 inches snow overnight, sleet, or ice I have driven in it. The main thing is you have to know how to drive your car. A truck is not going to be any better if it is rear wheel drive, by the way. A beater front wheel drive or all wheel drive is what you want. A truck has no weight int he back compared to a car. I put sand bags in my car anyways.

There are 2 inspections that BMW "wants" you to do they rotate every 15,000 miles, and can run above $500. I did it right after I bought my car to get everything up to par for me. Just a little info for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.