yet another thread about the ispection light - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Festivus yes, bagels no..

Car: '01 330i
Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
yet another thread about the ispection light

I just reset my inpsection light and now just two days later it's come back on----I know this means the batteries on the SI board are blown and need to be replaced. I found this that tells how to replace the batteries:

http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...spection+light

But I'm not sure if I have to buy a new SI board THEN replace the batteries or if I can use my old board and just hook new batteries to it??

thanks!
yammahamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Car: '86 325es, '87 535is
Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Mine haven't worked since I bought the car. (Apr 2004) I parked my car for the winter, and am going to do replace the batteries really soon. watch the forum for a DIY. I'm going to go with the cheapest option first. Those SI Boards are pretty expensive, so I'm going to try the batteries first. I'll let everyone know when I do it.
Oh, and to answer your question, Yes, you can do just the batteries, you don't HAVE to replace the whole board unless some of your gauges are screwing up, or there is acid all over the board.
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
ldsbeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Photos:
yammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to beholdyammahamma is a splendid one to behold
yea I couldn't find a new board for less then $150....so $10 at radio shack seems like the first step to me.

But I'm the kind of person that hates lights that aren't supposed to be on..so if I have to spend the $150 to get that danged light off then I'll do it....

thanks for the help...
Old 12-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Photos:
ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond reputeldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
I know how you feel. I have a few minor light details that need fixing up.
1) OBC, I'm sure it works, but the backlight is out, so I can't use it.
2) Service Interval lights. I was so unhappy when I made my own reset tool for $5, and then it didn't take.
3) Radio lights. the left one just burned out in my stock (1986) BMW unit. I don't know if I'll be able to fix that one, but I'm damned sure going to try.
4) Window Switch light. One is the old style that doesn't light up, and the other one is the one that doesn't make contact so well anymore. Yek.
5) ABS light. I'm sure this is an honest gripe, since I don't have ABS right now (ask me how I know), so in order to turn out the light, I'm going to have to freakin fix the ABS. Fun
6) ... and of course Headlights. Stock Sealed Beams suck. 'nuf said. I'm going to get the H1/H4 upgrade as soon as I can pry the $150 from my wife's grasp.
My BMW Blog
Old 12-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Photos:
I just posted how to fix the backlight to the OBC.....not too hard of a fix.....$30 for a new light or $5 from radio shack if you want to go the ghetto-solder-your-own way....

other then that I can't help you on the rest....
Old 12-12-2005, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Photos:
Oh, I have instructions on just about all of that stuff, the rest I'll figure out. Yeah, I'm going to do the $5 solder it yourself job... (I'm an avionics technician)
My BMW Blog
Old 12-13-2005, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
77th Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light325eXTATIC is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via ICQ to 325eXTATIC Send a message via AIM to 325eXTATIC Send a message via MSN to 325eXTATIC Send a message via Yahoo to 325eXTATIC
As a recent victim of a HEAVILY corroded SI Board, the chances are if you live in a part of the country with a large shift in weather from summer to winter (like high 90's in the summer and low 20's or below in the winter) there is a GOOD chance that the SI board will need replacement. The traces are EXTREMELY large, and if you are really REALLY patient, you may be able to correct a small number of the defects on the board, but in my case, the number of defects and amount of corrosion were so great, there was NO hope. Beyond that, I would HIGHLY recommend a remote installation of the replacement batteries! Not that this process is OVERLY difficult to repair, buy why invite a longer replacement process down the road than necessary!

Hope this helps!

Josh W.

Originally Posted by <b>JoeMadoo</b><br>325eXTATIC, you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>Moosepuck</b><br>Oh yeah... 325eXTATIC...you're my hero...
Originally Posted by <b>e30dream</b><br>325eXTATIC....youre my hero.
325eXTATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM   #8 (permalink)

Photos:
A large shift in weather huh.....Well it got down to -20 degrees F the other day....20 BELOW ZERO! I hate cold so bad...in the summer it gets around 100 or so......so there is definently a big shift in weather here. I think I'll wait until summer to pull out the board---it's just too cold right now....

thanks!
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM   #9 (permalink)
Teh Peetsa Gai

Photos:
I'll post pics when I do mine.
My BMW Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)