Is It Worth It? 1984 BMW 318i - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Ľ Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: Looking
Photos:
ramfan9876 is on a distinguished road
Is It Worth It? 1984 BMW 318i

Hello! I am new here, so hopefully I am posting in the right spot.

I am trying to find out if a 1984 BMW 318i I found is worth the price. It is at small used car lot. It is a 5 speed with 133,000 miles. The windshield is cracked and needs to be replaced; a back taillight is cracked, and it needs at least one new tire (although I would replace all at the same time). Windshield wipers are also rusted. It would not pass inspection in its current condition. The place wants $1200 and I am wondering if that is fair or not. I have not had a chance to test drive it yet.

Any help/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
ramfan9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2012, 02:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
If it won't pass an inspection in its current state then I would pass. Way better cars out their for less money. Also, get a 325. The 318 is severely underpowered so if you ever want to mod the engine for performance your SOL.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car: Looking
Photos:
ramfan9876 is on a distinguished road
Thank you.
ramfan9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Your welcome. Just keep scouring local classified ads and you will find more.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Old 05-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1990 325is E30. Red colour
Photos:
m20enginebuilder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Your welcome. Just keep scouring local classified ads and you will find more.
Lord vader, thats what i did. I found a 89 318 is for 2200. I never even got a chance to test drive it before it was sold, so i kept scouring ads, til I found my 1990 325is. For 500. And spent less than that on parts for a top end overhaul, now I have a great car, with plenty of performance for stock.
m20enginebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
Exactly. I see tons of E36's going for less the. $1,000. A bunch of guys on Bimmerfoums have been getting some pretty decent early ones for $500, or $800. And for a couple hundred dollars in replacement parts had a fantastic car.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Exactly. I see tons of E36's going for less the. $1,000. A bunch of guys on Bimmerfoums have been getting some pretty decent early ones for $500, or $800. And for a couple hundred dollars in replacement parts had a fantastic car.
Im one, cept mines an e30. less than 300 for engine parts, some time working on it(much fun had) and now I have a great fantastic fun little bimmer. Only issue i have is the whole title bullcrap... But thats another can of worms that I need to clear up. That wont be fun. But it has seen plenty of pavement illegally hehehehehe. And it does NOT like to go slow. It loves to be around 60-wherever i decide to not go any faster. problem now is the front suspension needs ALOT of help. It also loves to spin tires and drift hehe
Old 05-07-2012, 12:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
I'm so happy we don't have that title stuff here in Canada. I get a bill of sale and take it to a registry office and the register the car in my name and I have full ownership. No bullshit. It's great.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
I'm so happy we don't have that title stuff here in Canada. I get a bill of sale and take it to a registry office and the register the car in my name and I have full ownership. No bullshit. It's great.
GRRRR YOU ARE SO INSANELY LUCKY! Titles are stupid. I dont even see the point, and they ALWAYS get LOST like the idiot who owned my car before I do now. Coz I HAVE a bill of sale. HOW DOES IT WORK LIKE THAT? And HOW CAN the stupid govt here control us like the way they do? Grr theres 1 more reason on my huge like 10 mile list of reasons I wanna get out of this country. Along with ethanol fuel crap. Whats the point of a title in the first place? Boats/watercrafts dont need titles!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
I don't understand the whole title thing. Is it a peice of paper that claims ownership?? If you lose it don't they keep a record?

If I lose te registration to my car I just go to a Registry Office and they print me off a new one for a fee. My BMW hasn't been registered since 09/2010. I can walk into any Registry office with an insurance pink slip and pay $xx to re register it. Since I'm still the owner they have it on file.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
I don't understand the whole title thing. Is it a peice of paper that claims ownership?? If you lose it don't they keep a record?

If I lose te registration to my car I just go to a Registry Office and they print me off a new one for a fee. My BMW hasn't been registered since 09/2010. I can walk into any Registry office with an insurance pink slip and pay $xx to re register it. Since I'm still the owner they have it on file.
And I ask myself why cant the us be like canada in this type of thing? The us is so corrupt. And yes all a title is is a stupid peice of paper that looks just like a birth cirtificate(i wouldnt be shocked if you dont know what these are) that states you own the stupid vehicle. But YOU DONT HAVE TO HAVE ONE FOR A BOAT! Is a boat STILL a vehicle? It is in my mind. It has gages, lights, a steering wheel, an engine, a trans, a final drive, and a device to move it(propeller). OH I forgot to mention, it also has insurance if you put it on it, and it also has those stick on tags that expire once a year that have to be renewed, just like those stupid expensive stickers I have to put on a license plate on a car/truck. A VEHICLE FOR WATERWAY USE! ITS A DAM VEHICLE, but you DONT have to have a DAM TITLE FOR IT! GRRRR! ALL I WANT TO DO IS DRIVE MY BMW! Anyway, I think the rant is over now.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
So, if you don't have a title to a vehicle what happens? Do you still have to register te vehicle even after you haw the title? What happens if you lose the title? Can a new one be reordered?

Our birth certificates are wallet sized and most people carry them in their wallets.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:02 PM   #13 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
So, if you don't have a title to a vehicle what happens? Do you still have to register te vehicle even after you haw the title? What happens if you lose the title? Can a new one be reordered?

Our birth certificates are wallet sized and most people carry them in their wallets.
So basically since I do not have the title because the idiot before the guy I bought it from who managed to scrape up the bottom on the car nicely, and put a nice 1 footX1 foot dent in the bottom of the right side of the gas tank(how he did this, i dunno) lost the stupid title, I obtained it with NO title. This means I cannot register it and crap til i do a whole bunch of bullcrap to get a title for it, and even worse, the dude I bought it from was anything but helpful in tracking down the idiot who he bought it from. So i searched the car in some faint hope of finding the stupid title stuffed somewhere inside the car, and I found the idiot he bought it from's business card, so i was like YAY now I can call this idiot and get my dam title once and forall. NOPE! I emailed the address on the card first, THEN called the number on the card, which is NO LONGER IN SERVICE! So here I am. Finished engine with a fresh top end overhaul, and a new timing belt, new water pump and 2 new valves and I cant even drive it legally. And its even worse. the state patrol here only does vin inspections on appointment, and only at certain times. So here I am, in may, where the weather is nice, and I cant even get it out on the nice mountain roads around here that I wanna drive it on. So thats the problem you run into in this stupid country if you dont get a title. Oh its SOOOOOOOOOOO wonderful. NOT! And in its state, it wont even go through with the vin inspection, because the windshield is cracked and the tires are sooo illegal. One has steel belts showing. The others are down to 3/32nds at most.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Photos:
So what is required in obtaining the title when it's missing? That's such a messed up system. It makes it so the onus is on the owner to keep a peice of paper. Dont they keep a record of this stuff for when smeone losses it? How it works here is that when you buy a car you get a bill of sale from the RO (which be written on a napkin. Im not kidding) and take it to get the car registered. The car ownership is then transferred to the buyer.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:21 PM   #15 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Hmm lets see, about 3 months and 15 pieces of paper that have terribly detailed instructions on them. Its rediculously stupid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)