Will Turn Over but No Idle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
mydirtye30 is on a distinguished road
Will Turn Over but No Idle

Hey guys, i've done a bit of research and even had another e30 to compare to. Soooo I have a 85 325e that i did a stock motor swap the 2.7L and i basically went from one 325e to the other, both the same year and everything just one had a smashed up rear-end and the motor was running right before I swapped it over.
Now for the problem, I recently got the car to crank over and about 5-6 good cranks it will turn over and start but wont stay at idle. It literally just falls off and dies. And if I open up the throttle body it wont start, it will just keep cranking until I close the TB then it will start but die. Ive gone through every plug and vaccum line to see if something is missing but they all seem to be connected with no kinks or cracks that I can see.
Any body got any other suggestions as to what it might be or where to look?
Thanks guys
mydirtye30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1990 325is E30. Red colour
Photos:
m20enginebuilder is on a distinguished road
It fires,and starts, but wont idle? I was gonna say does it have oil, but obviously it does. Does it have enough to keep enough pressure on the oil pressure switch that turns on and off the fuel pump? If so, check a few things. Make sure you CONNECTED the mass airflow meter(i forgot to do this after I reassembled my M20 after doing a top end overhaul). If its connected, MAKE SURE the air intake boot is NOT ripped. If its ripped ANYWHERE in between the Mass airflow meter, and the throttle body, or the idle air valve and the mass airflow meter, it wont work properly. Also make sure the hose clamps(worm drive) are TIGHT so air dont leak in between the boot and the throttle body and/or the mass airflow meter. Id also check the intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gaskets, AND injector O rings. Check these by spraying with brake cleaner, and having someone else crank the engine. Also check the elbow bend for the idle air control valve for leaks to the back of the throttle body. If all that stuff is good, its possibly the idle air control valve. Its either stuck(fixable with solvent and brake cleaner) or if its burned up, they ARE NOT cheap to replace. They cost in between 450-600. I would ALSO check EVERY ground. Make sure it is PROPERLY grounded, coz if it is NOT, it can cause all kinds of WIERD problems. Grounds if not PROPERLY applied can cause everything from misfires to random dying, to starting and dying soon after start.
m20enginebuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Yeah the MAF is connected and even switched it out with another MAF. ICV is the next thing I'm gunna look at but i know its all hooked up correctly. My guess now is that the ECU might be bad so I'll switch that out with another one and see what that does. But I did find another TWO pin connector that looks just like the one that connects to the ICV but the lead is only about 8in and have no idea what it goes to.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydirtye30 View Post
Yeah the MAF is connected and even switched it out with another MAF. ICV is the next thing I'm gunna look at but i know its all hooked up correctly. My guess now is that the ECU might be bad so I'll switch that out with another one and see what that does. But I did find another TWO pin connector that looks just like the one that connects to the ICV but the lead is only about 8in and have no idea what it goes to.
Is the ICV even connected? If its not, it wont do ANYTHING. If it is, and its burned open, theyre EXPENSIVE to replace. Id ALSO check your cold start injector. MAKE SURE that is connected. And not burned open. What if the shorter 2 pin lead goes to the ICV, and the longer lead goes to the cold start injector, and the 2 are hooked up wrong? If that happens, and since one id not connected, one or the other is NOT working. The cold start injector sits opposite of the throttle body, right by where what looks like ICV air goes into the intake. Its right on top of the part that bolts onto the backside of the intake. The cold start injector would be 2 pin as well. Also what is the hole in the top of the side of the ICV that is facing you in this pic? If it leads inside the ICV, and is therefore a vacume leak, that COULD be your entire problem. Vacume leaks+BMW mass airflow sensors=TROUBLE. Plug off that hole, and see how it runs.

Last edited by m20enginebuilder; 08-12-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Well after much work, and thanks m20enginebuilder for your help. But i found the actual problem to be the ECU, I know its not heard of for bimmer's to have their ECU go out but I swapped it with a good one and the damn thing fired right up . And the shorter 2 pin wont even come close to reaching the ICV and i found one another forum of a guy with the same two pin connector that wasn't hooked up and his car ran just fine, so im guessing its just a mystery plug lol
Old 08-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydirtye30 View Post
Well after much work, and thanks m20enginebuilder for your help. But i found the actual problem to be the ECU, I know its not heard of for bimmer's to have their ECU go out but I swapped it with a good one and the damn thing fired right up . And the shorter 2 pin wont even come close to reaching the ICV and i found one another forum of a guy with the same two pin connector that wasn't hooked up and his car ran just fine, so im guessing its just a mystery plug lol
Maybe that mystery connector is for an optional accessory that your car does not have. Does yours have AC? Maybe its the compressor clutch connector. Also I am glad you got er running! Good job!
Old 10-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
ChristianeBothe is on a distinguished road
why dont u take this to a good service station? i am sure u would be solved up with the issue easily......
Old 10-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
robartbs556 is on a distinguished road
Yeah the actual MAF is actually connected and in some cases went the idea out there together with yet another MAF. ICV is actually the next action I'm gunna have a look at nevertheless i know it is all set up the right way. My own guess now is how the ECU could possibly be bad consequently We'll move of which out there together with a different one and see what exactly of which really does. Nevertheless I did so find yet another 2 pin connection of which seems to be just as the one that joins towards the ICV but the lead is just about 8in as well as have no idea what exactly the idea goes to.
robartbs556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)