BMW Werkz banner

Why Let Someone Else Do It?

1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  llll1l1ll 
#1 ·
:confused Why should i let someone else do the valve adjustment on the car? i mean, aside from this special tool needed, i know the clearance necessary. Does it get a little more invovled than i think, or what?

GSD

#2 ·
Well, if you've worked on your car before (not just changing the oil--but its about as hard) then you shouldn't have a problem doing this. It's pretty straightforward once you take the valve cover off. Make sure you remove the sparkplugs or you're in for a workout. Do this with the engine stone cold--let it sit overnight for like, 6-8 hrs (however long you sleep). As for rotating the engine, you can either get a 22mm socket and rotate it as such with the car in neutral, or you can be spiffy (and only if you have a manual transmission) and stick it in fifth and push the car to rotate the engine. I'm not sure what the firing order is. I'm sure you can find out somewhere else. Other than that, its easy and makes your engine run nicely!

#5 ·
Originally posted by llll1l1ll@Mar 23 2005, 01:44 PM
Special tool as in the valve feeler gauges? If that's the case, then yes you must have it.

If thats not what you're talking about, please elaborate, haha.
[snapback]317172[/snapback]​
the feeler guages are only like 5$ so why dont you so both?

#6 ·
Originally posted by Kowalski+Mar 23 2005, 05:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kowalski @ Mar 23 2005, 05:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-llll1l1ll@Mar 23 2005, 01:44 PM
Special tool as in the valve feeler gauges? If that's the case, then yes you must have it.

If thats not what you're talking about, please elaborate, haha.
[snapback]317172[/snapback]​
the feeler guages are only like 5$ so why dont you so both?
[snapback]317257[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, that's what I meant. Feeler gauges are mad cheap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.