Why Car Dealers BLOW.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:28 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down

Ok so you all know about me totalling my BMW...so im looking around at buying another one...i found one the looked to be a good buy. I went and checked it out with my Girlfriend Jessica ) We get there and its a 1989 BMW 325i its Red with Tan Leather Interior 150,000 Miles and a 5-speed. Not bad looks fairly clean..but i first see the antenna doesnt work and there are various interior pieces missing..I figure since they are asking $3500 and thats High BLue Book Value(Perfect Condition) they would be willing to Negotiate. So the Dealer gives me the keys and say just dont go to tahoe. So i thought to myself alright i can really see what this thing can do and see if its well maintained..To my surprise the motor pulled hard and ran Smooth as silk and i was burnin tires like crazy...once i got up to about 85 or 90 it became VERY evident to me that the Shocks were blown, i felt like i was in an old Caddilac(one more thing to add to the cars shit list) as i am braking jessica, with the keen eye, notices the brake lining light comes on. (Brake Rotors need to be replaced) i also notice the brake pedal is almost to the floor..Then i notice the clutch feels short and mushy(needs new clutch) It has a fog light out and a tail light out and then i look up to open the Sunroof and its an old Cank style..come on my 84 BMW had a power sunroof....Also the computer was not the 325i Performance computer..(readout for Temp and timer and clock and MPG etc.) So we Return with the car and i decide to give it a quick once more over and i look in the trunk and it looks all good but then i close the trunk and it pops back open...i try again...same...try again, same...so i SLAM the trunk and it closes and i look and sure enough i notice the gaps dont match up...then i look around the whole car and none of the body lines up properly(more than likely the cars has been in a MAJOR accident but somehow has a clean title....so anywho we walk inside and talk to the dealer tell him everything that is wrong and told him i would pay no more than $2000 MAX!!! He says "Well obviously im not willing to drop the price that much, so what if i replace the shocks and fix the lights will you pay $3500?" and i chuckled and said first of all on the internet its posted as $2900 and second...NO..." and he responded with some smart ass remark of "Well someone who doesnt know any better will pay $3500" so long story short....Never, Never deal with car dealers if you can avoid it...and second...guys...take your girlfriend with you to look at cars...they tend to notice weird things that turn out to be serious P

Triple Crown Auto Sales '89 BMW 325i $2.999

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

Halon is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Halon Send a message via MSN to Halon Send a message via Yahoo to Halon
Damn. I had an expierence like that looking for my first car. I was looking at an 86 toyota MR2. Man it was neat. Kind of rusted on the body, and the interior was shitty - but the engine pulled nicely. However when we put it up on a rack, the hoses and lines were all in the worst condition I've ever seen. Plus it was posible that there was serious damage done to the frame that would have been hidden by this weird under-paneling. My mechanic was just telling me there was like a 60 some percent chance I could expect to go skidding on my seat rails someday if I pushed it too hard, I was kind of disapointed.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 03:23 AM
2nd Gear Member

BMW Lover is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMW Lover
man that totally fukin blows ass..i agree thoh. dont fukin buy dealer cars, even new..they charge so much fuking money its insaine...

^^I want this where I live.

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

Manual - The transmission hated by moms/wives/girlfriends everywhere...

Member of the "I Owned my Bimmer when I was 17" Club
Member of the "10 Year Old" Club
Member of the "3 Pedal" Club
Member of the "3 Light" Club
#4 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 10:32 AM
5th Gear Member

Aether is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Aether Send a message via MSN to Aether
Well they're only doing their job.
It just so happens that their job is to steal, kind of like insurance agencies.

There are billions of complete idiots on this planet, and the people at Triple Crown are selling cars to them, not you.

Four Five Six - It's on.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 02:33 PM
2nd Gear Member

yup, u make a good point. if i had...lets say 25g to buy a car. people wuld normally think "oh lets go get a NEW car" haha no. i'd get like an e30 m3 or a 93' 240sx and totally trick the shit out of it. i would own every car on the street with it and it wuld be in better condition than new with all the performance parts :-P

"Drag racing a BMW is like going fishing with a hooker, it's fun but it's not what you got her for..." - M3DUDE

#6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 02:54 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
(Thread Starter)
ohh dude i totally agree car dealers are theives but these one are the worst i have seen dont get me wrong i know they gotta eat but they werer tryin to go to hawaii....haha :P

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#7 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 03:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

haha yeah i again agree that is kinda bs the deal u spotted on the bmw :-/ good thing u knew shit and dint get ripped off

#8 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:13 AM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
i recently had an experiance with a dealer and a private seller too....

e30 325i, the dealer: so i see the car, go up to it and immediatly i think, new paint. so i open the door, it kinda falls off the body as i open it. so i get in, seats are ripped to shit. the underside of the dash is missing (wires every where) my mom went and got the keys by this time. i turn it on, try twice, works the 2nd time after about 4 seconds, immediatly i notice the idol is REALLY rough. i rev, and its very jerky. so i check the windows, LOL none work...one does but only goes down, and the sunroof doesnt work either. i turn it off, then look around the body once more, and i notice the trunk has more scratches than i have ever seen, it looks like someone took sandpaper to it (literally). after all this im like ok, lets go....and my dumbass mother is like: I like it. im like...do you like 5 grand in repairs? response: no... me: then lets go.

this one ^^above^^ is listed on autotrader at cambridge autosales for 2000.

the next one (private seller): i talk to him on the phone, he says there is a LITTLE, and i quote "A LITTLE" rust on one of the door panels. i get there after a 2HOUR DRIVE, and its in an airplane hanger at this shitty little airport in the middle of no where. the hanger wont open so he has to call the power provider, and we wait about 40 mins... i test drive it. rough idle...... its jerky but the engine does seem strong, clutch 100 percent. before this i couldnt see the rust because it was inside in the dark........ Well, i get out of the car after the test drive, and it is the rustiest POS i have ever seen.... needs new paint and body shop work on every body panel...most likely most panels would have to be replaced. the best part about this car is the interior...BEAUTIFUL red leather NO WEAR AT ALL recaro? seats, no rips at all...just simply flawless...

so i tell him he wont sell it for more than 1 grand. he gets mad and i leave, wasting a good 6 to 7 hours of my summer is not how this was supposed to turn out...i was pissed.

k im done, sorry to highjack the thread

#9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 02:02 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by catalyst.@Aug 18 2004, 01:53 AM

k im done, sorry to highjack the thread
No worries this is what i wanted to provoke with this post...iw ant people to throw their bad stories on here cause i dont want anyone to get screwed over...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 09:08 AM
Neutral Member

XtremeDream is an unknown quantity at this point
This is exactly why I never even check out cars at dealships. They suck ass man, big time. But your experience blows man, that is really bad.

Thinkin' that you are fast doesn't make you fast.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-20-2004, 08:26 PM
2nd Gear Member

yeah it does man, like they have people employed at them to fuk cars up..lol seriously lets say it works fine wen u test drive it and watever, they like make it so it breaksdown as ur driving it out. lol, nah im kidding but it sounds good i bet thoh that they do fuk with the electronics...alot fo the time, cuz mine were and i got my car off a dealer :-/ ...he worked the car auctions

#12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 10:59 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
One thing to look for on used cars is the VIN stickers on body panels. Look on doors, front fenders the hood and deck lid. Missing stickers means replacement parts

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:27 AM
2nd Gear Member

lol yeah thats genious...great tip!

#14 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 03:08 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

(Thread Starter)
an even worse experiance today.....

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#15 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

(Thread Starter)
SOOOOOOOOOOOO.....there is a bronzit 1987 325i for sale in Chico, CA...just needs a new clutch...$800 so WTF oi have a million spare parts and a brand new clutch in my totalled e30 so hey i will check it out...so after driving 2 hours to get there i see the car and it has an e exhaust and it looks like it was washed with steel wool 50 billion times....so hey it doesnt look to be an "i"...the body has 325_ glowing from it...so anywho at this point im thinking well i can buy it for like $500 and part it out...so i ask him "Why is it badged "i" when it is clearly not even an E it just a base model 325?"...."My mechanic told me that they are the same thing" i laughed and gave him a 100% break down of the difference...he was surprised "right" (scamming bastard...) so i ask to start the car...he says "Ohh wait the battery is no good" so he jumps it from the front...it wont start...there is 100% no compression in the engine...its chuggin like a choochoo....so i go to open the trunk and he says "oh the trunk i cant open...i have never had a key that worked for it" and he told me that it was this way for the last 6 years...the ENTIRE time he has owned it...i laughed and left...there is not one salvageable piece on that car except the fenders....maybe....im soo pissed i cant even go into all the details...

THAT IS ALL...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)