Who else is turbo? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2006, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Who else is turbo?

Hey guys, I dont post much in this forum anymore, but my e30 is pretty damn close to (finally) being done. I admittedly neglected working on her for quite some time, but got it towed to work this week and have been finishing putting her together.

She'll be back on the road soon, plus one turbo system. It was a long painful road, one thats likely far from over, just wondering who else is out there running around in a boosted e30?

Old 02-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
I wish.
how much is that gonna run u?
Old 02-03-2006, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
cost of the car is around 10g's and counting.
its an 89 325i
Old 02-04-2006, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: Opening soon:
Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
I have built an turbo e30, I may put a simular turbo setup on my current 325es untill I get enough saved up to do a V12 conversion (that I will document in detail and post on a web page when finished) The turbo setup I put together was made up of a t3/t4 turbo with 60 trim compressor turbine, psi switch to kick on the cold start injector to prevent a lean condition, ran 101 octane fired off with an MSD 6BTM with brisk turbo spark plugs and out through a custom built headder, and to lower the compresion a little I took out the pistons and had a machine shop cut them down and dish as far as he could with out making them useless, used 19lb fuel injectors. The induction was a draw though the air flow meter set up relocated to the passenger side directly ducted through the removed highbeam hole for runs only.

However, not that long ago I took a major financial kick to the groin and was forced to sell most of my stuff, It'll be quite a while before I can to go racing again. But I will... I will.......
Starmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
Starmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the roughStarmavin is a jewel in the rough
BTW you can use the pistons out of an 87 and early 325e 2.7L motor, they don't have raised mounds and off set dish like the 2.5L I motor pistons have. The bore is the same only the stroke is different.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Car: '87 325es M50tu Swapped
Photos:
gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond reputegotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
im gonna put a turbonator on my E30 one day...that counts as boost no?

hahaha jk, useless reply, sorry

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
gotKRAUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmavin
BTW you can use the pistons out of an 87 and early 325e 2.7L motor, they don't have raised mounds and off set dish like the 2.5L I motor pistons have. The bore is the same only the stroke is different.
i kept pretty much everything factory on the internals. i upgraded to non-stretch metric blue HG bolts, but other then that its stock compression/internals.

everything measured within spec though when taken apart.

im using a crane cams ignition system w/ boost porportional spark retard. also have a boost sensitive alcohol injection system, and a vortech RRFPR. was going to go with a FMIC but decided against it.

come on guys, get motivated, we need more turbo e30s on this forum! e30tech has us whooped. =P

if you have any questions im sure between myself and starmavin we can get you started.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Photos:
I have to agree with nukeduster, we need more boosted E30s out there. I was just on Ebay and saw several turbo manifolds, even ones that bolt up to the stock cast iron manifolds. They seem to fit a little snug up against the body to me, but look like they'll work.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Jrhaile has a Dinan e30 turbo.

What turbo and manifold are you using nuke? I dont think cams really helps when you go with a turbo. But I dont know how agressive the cams you mentioned are. I also have alcohol injection but it's no reason to avoid a FMIC. The w/a injection doesnt do much when it comes to cooling. You should really consider a FMIC. Ive heard those cheap intercoolers on ebay actually work wonders. Just need to find an appropriately sized one and get some piping done for it.

How about tuning?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Photos:
I have a couple intercoolers, im more then likely going to go with a vortech air to water intercooler i have laying around.. alcohol injection cools the charge significantly. ive seen drops of up to 35 degrees with it in my friends car and the vehicles we've done at work. plus it also has other benefits other then just coolign the charge.. anyways..

im using a crane hi-6 digital ignition with a spark module which retards spark by 2(variable) degrees per pound of boost.

using cams on a turbo motor is almost always a bad thing unless you have turbo cams. they inevitably cause blow thru. n/a cams never work well with turbo cars, with the exception of usually neutral factory cams.

im using a 524td manifold, turbo, and down pipe. ill take pics when i get a moment and i quit forgetting my camera at home.

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)