White Back-up Lights (Reverse) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 03:12 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Neil Paz is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Question White Back-up Lights (Reverse)

I have replaced the fuse and the bulbs in the tail light bulb holder but the back-up light still won't work. What should I try to replace next, the back-up light switch or the neutral safety switch? Any other suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
Is this a manual or auto?

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 12:46 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I'm sorry, it is a 5-speed manual trans.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:40 PM
5th Gear Member

BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute BMWJNKY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to BMWJNKY Send a message via Yahoo to BMWJNKY
Well the E21, E30, and early E36 don't have a nutural safty switch. Even if they did that part has no common wires with the back up switch or reverse lights. I would try changing the reverse light switch. Its on the left side tras about 3/4 the way up the side.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
I have this same problem....let us know what you do to fix it. I tried just krimping the contacts on the switch but that didn't help...I think I'm in line for a new switch as well...

#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
When I did my SSK, there was a wire off to the left of the shifter under the boot that I could have sworn had something to do with the reverse lights. But I'm not sure.

My BMW Blog
#7 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 05:40 PM
Festivus yes, bagels no..

yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold yammahamma is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Yahoo to yammahamma
yea I think so too. Sometimes when I jiggle this wire the lights will work or a day or so....I think it might be connected to the switch on the tranny..

#8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:33 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Check and see if the wires aren't pinched at the shifter under the boot, the manual trans back up lamp wires go through the weather boot and can get pinched there. If all it good, then you can go after the switch, it's a pain to get to but you'll find it on the upper passenger side of the trans. It only has two blade type connectors, long needle nose pliers are very usefull here.
#9 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 07:51 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

^^ don't forget double jointed wrists and fingers. Carny hands would help, too, but I hate the smell of cabbage.

My BMW Blog
#10 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:04 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Oh lord, I gotta take it to a mechanic then, Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)