Where is the best place to ea.... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 05:05 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Danbot is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Where is the best place to ea....

From where to where would the best place be to earth the motor to?

I am worried that my earthing line is not that good anymore, in fact I dont even know where to find it. I want to give the motor a second earthing, but not sure where the best place would be to do it from, or where the best place to do it to would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
There are already a couple places where the engine is grounded. I would say that if you are having grounding problems, find the ground straps, and either clean them up really well, or just replace the straps.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 03:05 PM
2nd Gear Member

DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute DIRTE30 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to DIRTE30
The best place to run any ground to is directly back to the negative post of the Battery. That having been said, it would take alot of cable to get all the way back there! So the next best contact would be the frame as the battery grounds directly to the frame in the back. I just took a look at mine and remebered that there is a grounding cluster on the top rear of the passengers side strut tower. A good thing to do would be to disconnect your batt. and take that assembly apart and clean it up really good and then while you have it off go ahead and run a nice ground strap from the rear passengers side valve cover stud to that stud on the strut tower. Then get yourself some nice stainless lock nuts and flat washers and put that ground assembly back together and you should be firmly grounded at that point! Just make sure to get yourself some good quality terminals and cable to do the job with or you'll cause more problems down the road with intermittent connections and such. If you have problems getting this just let me know and I'd be glad to get you what you need and send them to you as I run and industial supply co. and have these at my disposal.

Good luck!
#4 (permalink) Old 07-17-2006, 04:06 PM
5th Gear Member

Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough Starmavin is a jewel in the rough
Also check and clean the main ground wire contact that runs from the body to the motor at the oil pan near the oil level sending unit behind the power steering pump. Actually come to think of it, I have seen this wire left off by accident after a motor change....

As a added ground, I built a two terminal ground that I ran to the valve cover studs then just then ran that into one larger wire then bolted to the strut tower.

Last edited by Starmavin; 07-17-2006 at 04:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)