BMW Werkz banner

Wheel bearing replacement

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  DIRTE30 
#1 ·
Ok. So I think I've gotten the hesitation worked out on my bargain project, now on the the next pressing issue! It has a terrible high pitched grinding sound coming from the rear. It almost sounds like the rear calipers dragging like they do if a car has been sitting for a while and the rotors rust up. Kindof a scratchy harmonic ringing. I know it's in the drive train as it is not dependant on engine speed or breaking but on wheel speed. I checked the diff fluid level and it was pretty low so I put some Lucas 90w in it hoping it had a dry output shaft bearing or something. Still noisy. I've never had a bearing issue with one of these cars. Does this sound like a wheel bearing to anyone? I've heard plenty of bearing noises but none quite like this one. Haven't really put a whole lot of diagnostic effort into it yet, just thought maybe there was a common thing with these cars and I could save some time with a hint! Also it has a bad strut and being as it is for my college bound bretherin I need a cheap fix. If anyone has good used set let me know!:D

#3 ·
I'll try that but I've pulled the e brake while rolling to see if the noise changed, but no. So I don't think it's ebrake related. Never know though, I'll try that tonight as I was gonna take the wheels off anyhow to see what I can see. Thanks buddy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.