Wheel Back Spacing - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
3-Series (E21, E30) Chat relating to the BMW 3-Series from 1975-1983 and 1984-1991 line. Specific models: BMW 315, BMW 316, BMW 318, BMW 318i, BMW 320/4, BMW 320i, BMW 320/6, BMW 323i, BMW 320i. E30 Family models include: BMW 325e, BMW 325i, BMW 325is, BMW 325ix.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
XtremeDream is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

I finally found the wheels I want on my car (they are JDM, I know, I know) but I was just wondering what back spacing to get on them (and they are funkin sweet ?? Do you guys have any suggestions?? From my understanding it will mess with my track front and rear so I was wondering if people usually get ones that will give you a larger track or smaller track on your car. I would think that a larger track on such a small wheel track car would be bettter but then again I don't want to be scrubing the fenders since I will be lowering the car. By the way the wheels are 16'', they are 17lbs each, but I am thinking if I should go with 17'' (18lbs) 'cause I am an addict when it comes to big wheels.

I was also curious if you guys know what weight distribution a 325is has and if I need different width wheels front to rear due to that. I am not sure if they are 50/50 or 45/55 cause that would change some things (roll stifness will probably get larger in the rear as well as the frequency). And that brings me to another question. What max width wheels can fit an E30??? What about with M3 fenders??? Should I go to five stud pattern or stay with four???

I hope I am not asking too much just curious what other people are runing.

Thinkin' that you are fast doesn't make you fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
all i know is stick with 16's anything bigger is performance suicide unless you got mad power to back it
i want pics of these JDM wheels :P

here is a pic of my first set of rims...they were 16's and yes JDM these are the rims on my car in the AVATAR except they are Bronze the ones i had 11 lb's a piece
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	t_subzero_gun.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	11489  

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
The Calypso Beast Vid 0-70ish
1987 BMW 325es: Face & Butt Lifted/M50tu Swapped*Sold*
1985 VW Scirocco: Too many mods, money pit*Sold*
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#3 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I am an idiot, the 17x7.0 weigh 19lbs while the 16x7.0 wight 17. They are WORKEMOTION CR wheels. I want to get them in bronze since I think that would fit to the brilliant black color that I wll paint the car in. Now its navy blue, it'll still look good. here is the link

Cr wheels

#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:08 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
HAHAHAAH it is those exact wheels man. Damn, I alwasy liked those wheels in your avatar but could never get a close enough look to see them.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:09 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute gotKRAUT has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to gotKRAUT Send a message via MSN to gotKRAUT Send a message via Yahoo to gotKRAUT
those will look funny on there maybe its jsut me

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#6 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
What do you mean funny, you got them on your car??? How much did you pay for those when you bought them and also what backspacing did you get???

#7 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by XtremeDream@Aug 27 2004, 11:53 AM
What do you mean funny, you got them on your car???* How much did you pay for those when you bought them and also what backspacing did you get???
im not sure what you mean back spacing..i just bought them with whatever spacers they came with and installed them..i paid $420 for them with yoko AVS es100's on them... steal i know...but ultimately i ditched them because they had spacers...(which blow fo performance) my advice...dont get em...they are JDM and no mine were more flat than yours so they looked better :P check them out....Rota SubZero's are what they are called...completely diff and much lighter...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I don't want to use wheel spacers that is why I want to get the right backspacing. Backspacing is the distance from the face where the wheel attaches to the wheel and the rim lip that faces the inside of the car. If you imagine moving the backspacing of a 7.0 wide wheel would eventually move the center line of your tire hence you are changing the track width of your car.

When you say the spacers blow for performance do you mean wheel spacers out of aluminum that go between the hub and the wheel???

Also, those Rota's are tooooooooo light, too much flex in them funkin up your camber curves man , the work CR's are reall racing wheels. SPOON uses them on his S2000 when he races. SPOON!!!!!! You know he knows his crap. They cost about $330 without tires. I am thinking of some azenis on them.

Oh by the way about your ac post. Did it take you long to take it off??? How much weight did you save???

Me and you we got that weight addict aditude going on, that is the only way I know how to tune for power hehehehe.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 11:54 AM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by XtremeDream@Aug 27 2004, 12:24 PM
I don't want to use wheel spacers that is why I want to get the right backspacing.* Backspacing is the distance from the face where the wheel attaches to the wheel and the rim lip that faces the inside of the car.* If you imagine moving the backspacing of a 7.0 wide wheel would eventually move the center line of your tire hence you are changing the track width of your car.*

When you say the spacers blow for performance do you mean wheel spacers out of aluminum that go between the hub and the wheel???

Also, those Rota's are tooooooooo light, too much flex in them funkin up your camber curves man* , the work CR's are reall racing wheels. SPOON* uses them on his S2000 when he races.* SPOON!!!!!! You know he knows his crap.* They cost about $330 without tires.* I am thinking of some azenis on them.

Oh by the way about your ac post.* Did it take you long to take it off??? How much weight did you save???

Me and you we got that weight addict aditude going on, that is the only way I know how to tune for power hehehehe.
ac was a piece of cake to remove...i figuere i took off a good 80 lbs...maybe less but i did that and removed power steering and clutch fan and installed electric fans...it wasnt soo much for weight reduction as it is for removing load from the engine...the engine spools better when you remove all that and as far as the wheel you mean OFFSET!!!!! lol im not sure i have never actually looked inthe the proper offset... sorry i couldnt be more help...but it is called offset...ohh and yes i know what spoon is :P i dont care if those rims are good enough for spoon but its still not good enough for a bimmer lol :P and as far as the rotas...flew was not an issue...but they are JDM so they had to go...haha

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#10 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
hehehehe not good enough for a bimmer. I like that atitude . Now about that clutch fan. Like said before I am not a big engine guru but that sounds cool . Where did you get the elctric fan from and how did you do the instal ???

And why in the heck did you remove power steering man, how can you drive that thing like that . Probably didn't help you in your crash situation either.

WHOLLY CRAP LOOK AT THIS SMILY MAN!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahah

#11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

i unscrewed the fan and mounted in the $100 electric fan and wired it to a switch....you can also put a thermal time switch in which causes the fan to kick it at a certain temp but bah thats an extra like $80...but anyway www.summitracing.com and check out their 16" permacool fans...those are what i recomend from experiance ..........
the car drives the exact same without power steering once you are moving...the only time you notice a diff is at a dead stop...and dont you dare bring up the crash i blew a freakin tire ok.... sorry very very sensative topic...

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
#12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I feel you man, sorry bout dat, didn't mean to upset you. Anyhow, where is the damn clutch fan located and did you need any special tools??

#13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 01:52 PM
2nd Gear Member

Old_School_Bimmer is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Old_School_Bimmer
u aren't the only "idiot" with the 17's lol i am in that club too they look sweet
#14 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
Crazy Fabricatin' Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by XtremeDream@Aug 27 2004, 01:48 PM
I feel you man, sorry bout dat, didn't mean to upset you. Anyhow, where is the damn clutch fan located and did you need any special tools??
lol you didnt upset me :P no special tools needed...just a big enough wrench to fit the nut...before you do that make sure you have a "Bently BMW E30 Manual!!" it goes through the whole fan clutch removal in detail...

@Old_School_Bimmer-dude its an auto....17's are fine :P

Kyle Sutherland

1995 BMW 540i/6:
E34 Plate Filler Wanted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > 3-Series (E21, E30)